Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in leaf basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in leaf basket

Recently installed an Intex sand filter on my 16 foot AGP. I had to use intex adapters that go from I believe 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 flex hose. I didn't use the cheap plastic hose clamps that came with the adapters, instead I switched them out for metal hose clamps. I seem to be getting what I think to be is to much air in the leaf basket on the pump. It is not enough air that the motor has started sucking air or lost prime, but every time I release the air, it always goes back to about the same point within an hour or 2. I've tightened every connection as much as I can, and all of rings are new and in place. Is it normal for that much air to be there? Or should it be completely free of air? Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in leaf basket

Welcome to the forum!

How much air are you seeing? It shouldn't be much, and have you double checked the seal on the basket lid? It's common to suck air in there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

How much air are you seeing? It shouldn't be much, and have you double checked the seal on the basket lid? It's common to suck air in there.
    The o ring on the lid is intact. I'd say probably about 1/4 of the total capacity of the basket fills with air... Enough to concern me, but not enough to expose the pump intake... Yet

4. Back To Top    #4

Seems to possibly be the skimmer... I disconnected the skimmer for a few hours and didn't get any air at all... Is it possible that the turbulent water going into the skimmer sucks air down with it?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod421 View Post
    Seems to possibly be the skimmer... I disconnected the skimmer for a few hours and didn't get any air at all... Is it possible that the turbulent water going into the skimmer sucks air down with it?
    Very common. Low water level and high flow can create a vortex and suck air. It's easy enough to check, just look inside when it's running and look for a whirlpool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP, just raise your water a little, about 3/4 of the way on the skimmer
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **