Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster/Pebble tec question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster/Pebble tec question

Looking at refinishing my plaster pool. Currently it is your typical white plaster and tile band at the top. Had a builder come look and advised we could remove the tile band and pebble tec to the coping.

Any one have this design in their pool? Any issues?

18x36 29K gal Gunite - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite - 40k Cell - 24" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    Polaris 380 w/ booster - RayPak 336K BTU Propane Heater

Twitter: @jfgreco

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster/Pebble tec question

You can get away with it in some climates I think using an aggregate finish. Some like where I am are too hard on it. Not sure what other plaster experts would say, but I've heard of people doing or considering this before.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

From my very limited knowledge, I've always been under the impression that you didn't want the stonescapes, pebbletec, or whatever exposed out of the water for too long. The 6" tile line served 2 purposes; it can be exposed to the elements outside of water, and it served as your fill line (middle of tile). So from what you are describing, there would be at least a few inches of the pebble exposed unless you planned on filling all the way up to the coping. I've also wondered how the beach entry pools that use the "sand" colored pebbletec or stonescapes for the beach effect as there is a little bit of exposed finish at the entry point. I'm sure others will chime in.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a few folks here who have exposed pebble finish above the water line, beaches, rolled edges, etc. It is not all that common, but I don't recall seeing any issues with the folks that have them. It seems like it would be harder to clean at the water line.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    There are a few folks here who have exposed pebble finish above the water line, beaches, rolled edges, etc. It is not all that common, but I don't recall seeing any issues with the folks that have them. It seems like it would be harder to clean at the water line.
    The builder was showing me pictures of his installs. Everyone that involved pebble had no tile band and pebble to coping. Anything plaster related that wasn't pebble had a tile band. Found it interesting.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just saw a post a few weeks ago of a member that had the rolled edges in Arizona that had a crack. I also remember seeing other posts over the years that Pebble Tech should always be under the water line.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I would ask the builder if you do go that route is there a way to put a control joint below the water line where the tile would end? That way if you do develop a crack it will hopefully stop before getting too deep and causing a major problem.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Read the following for answers to your specific question on Pebble Tech above water line and on remodels...

http://www.mmgtx.com/FORMS/PTI_Desig..._Guides(3).pdf
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Interesting read. You get sort of a mixed reaction from it. Some of it says yes you can but then some of it says your probably shouldn't.

10. Back To Top    #10

If that info is from MMG here in Houston, they are the #1 PebbleTec installers in the country, according to PebbleTec. Or at least they were last year when Suz built her pool. Bmore, that's good info you found. Sounds like they don't recommend it, but if you are going to do it they tell you how to do it to cause the least amount of problems.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

11. Back To Top    #11

Good idea going to the source for answers! Thanks for that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

It appears that max 18" reveal for warranty which is interesting. Got the quote and its cheaper to pebble tec all the way then to do tile and diamond brite or just white plaster. Must his way to push you forwards it.