New Pool Build in MA!

bonnieboop

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 18, 2015
Concord, MA
Hi Everyone,
The pool build has started -- the excavator is digging as I write. I'll post more details later (and pictures!), but right now, I'd like to ask a question (I'll also post the pool equipment, etc. once I figure how to set that up).

We had originally thought we wanted a Paramount floor system (for cleaning purposes). My pool builder doesn't like the in-floor systems -- he feels it takes away from the aesthetics of the pool (we're doing Pebble Sheen), and he says there's no way to fix it if it were to break. He also says the spinning of the jets can deteriorate the pool finish over time.

So, he's recommending that we change to a Pentair Racer w/ a Booster Pump.

I'm fine either way. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Bonnie
(signature to be coming soon)

First off, Welcome to TFP!! You're in the right place. Looking forward to seeing the details of your build.

In-floor cleaning systems can be nice, but there are also many reports of issues with them (mostly how well they clean and what happens years down the road with all of the parts involved.) Frankly, if you are indifferent, the the best way hasn't been discussed...a robot. A cleaner like you mention requires running both your circulation pump and your booster pump whenever you want to clean. With a robot, you throw it in, plug it in and voila. It's seems to be the direction many are taking these days for cleaning. Dolphin brand robots are highly recommended by folks here.

Enjoy the place and have a look around. Do you plan to maintain your own water after the pool is up and running?

I totally agree with your builder. Many many reports here that the in floor systems simply have too many problems and may not work that well.

I do not agree on his selection of cleaners. I would get a robot. The energy savings are phenominal by comparison and they do a great job cleaning.....roughly the same price. The booster pump required with the Pentair Racer makes the cost about the same and can be a bit noisy. I strongly encourage you to consider a robot.

How big will your pool be?

I totally agree with your builder. Many many reports here that the in floor systems simply have too many problems and may not work that well.

I do not agree on his selection of cleaners. I would get a robot. The energy savings are phenominal by comparison and they do a great job cleaning.....roughly the same price. The booster pump required with the Pentair Racer makes the cost about the same and can be a bit noisy. I strongly encourage you to consider a robot.

How big will your pool be?

The pool will be 18X40, shaped. I'm going to tell my pool builder I want a robot. Any recommendations as to brand?

I plan to do most of the pool maintenance myself. I had an 18X36 in ground liner pool many years ago and I did all the maintenance, including opening and closing, and I don't see why I can't do it now. I'll probably hire someone to open and close the pool, but I doubt I'll have someone else maintain the pool. Seems like a waste of money to me. New pool is going to be gunite w/ pebble tech. How do I create a signature with all my pool equipment on it?

I am in Needham, and my build is starting any day now. Congrats to you! I wonder if we are using the same builder.

You can create a signature under the "settings" tab on at the top right. Then look for the "edit signature" on the left hand column.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Kim,
Yup -- absolutely doing it. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how. I just got my signature set, so personal progress is being made!

Best,
Bonnie

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think my builder does vinyl, but congratulations on your pool. It sounds as though it will be lovely. Who is your builder? Mine is Stone Edge.

I'm going to attempt to post some pictures here. Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

The dig is done -- no ledge thank goodness -- a smooth and easy process overall. Here's the shape of the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the shape of the pool from the back (deep end)

IMG_0976_zpsiigbjjix.jpg
[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

Rebar!

Bonnie this is where you get out your tape measure and make sure it is long, wide, deep, short, etc enough in each area. NOW is the time to fix it if it is not. Add about 6 inches for the gunite and plaster.

Kim :cat:

This forum is invaluable. Really invaluable.

So, how do I measure whether everything is as long, wide, deep, short, etc. in each area? I have a regular tape measure, but is there something I should buy that would make doing this easier -- or will a regular tape measure do? I haven't posted pictures yet, but the initial in-pool plumbing is done and gunite is happening either Monday or Tuesday -- so tomorrow is the day for me to measure!:cool:

Bonnie this is where you get out your tape measure and make sure it is long, wide, deep, short, etc enough in each area. NOW is the time to fix it if it is not. Add about 6 inches for the gunite and plaster.

Boonie you can just use your tape measure that you have. You should have your pool plans. Get that out and see what the plans say it should be. You can also look at each area............do the steps LOOK right? Is the deep end deep enough? Shallow end? Sun shelf-big enough? deep enough?

PLEASE use GREAT care if you decide to get in to measure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.