Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build in MA!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build in MA!

Hi Everyone,
    The pool build has started -- the excavator is digging as I write. I'll post more details later (and pictures!), but right now, I'd like to ask a question (I'll also post the pool equipment, etc. once I figure how to set that up).

We had originally thought we wanted a Paramount floor system (for cleaning purposes). My pool builder doesn't like the in-floor systems -- he feels it takes away from the aesthetics of the pool (we're doing Pebble Sheen), and he says there's no way to fix it if it were to break. He also says the spinning of the jets can deteriorate the pool finish over time.

So, he's recommending that we change to a Pentair Racer w/ a Booster Pump.

I'm fine either way. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Bonnie
    (signature to be coming soon)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Pool Build in MA!

First off, Welcome to TFP!! You're in the right place. Looking forward to seeing the details of your build.

In-floor cleaning systems can be nice, but there are also many reports of issues with them (mostly how well they clean and what happens years down the road with all of the parts involved.) Frankly, if you are indifferent, the the best way hasn't been discussed...a robot. A cleaner like you mention requires running both your circulation pump and your booster pump whenever you want to clean. With a robot, you throw it in, plug it in and voila. It's seems to be the direction many are taking these days for cleaning. Dolphin brand robots are highly recommended by folks here.

Enjoy the place and have a look around. Do you plan to maintain your own water after the pool is up and running?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I totally agree with your builder. Many many reports here that the in floor systems simply have too many problems and may not work that well.

I do not agree on his selection of cleaners. I would get a robot. The energy savings are phenominal by comparison and they do a great job cleaning.....roughly the same price. The booster pump required with the Pentair Racer makes the cost about the same and can be a bit noisy. I strongly encourage you to consider a robot.

How big will your pool be?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I totally agree with your builder. Many many reports here that the in floor systems simply have too many problems and may not work that well.

I do not agree on his selection of cleaners. I would get a robot. The energy savings are phenominal by comparison and they do a great job cleaning.....roughly the same price. The booster pump required with the Pentair Racer makes the cost about the same and can be a bit noisy. I strongly encourage you to consider a robot.

How big will your pool be?
    The pool will be 18X40, shaped. I'm going to tell my pool builder I want a robot. Any recommendations as to brand?

6. Back To Top    #6

I plan to do most of the pool maintenance myself. I had an 18X36 in ground liner pool many years ago and I did all the maintenance, including opening and closing, and I don't see why I can't do it now. I'll probably hire someone to open and close the pool, but I doubt I'll have someone else maintain the pool. Seems like a waste of money to me. New pool is going to be gunite w/ pebble tech. How do I create a signature with all my pool equipment on it?

7. Back To Top    #7

I am in Needham, and my build is starting any day now. Congrats to you! I wonder if we are using the same builder.

You can create a signature under the "settings" tab on at the top right. Then look for the "edit signature" on the left hand column.
    14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

BONNIE! You are really doing it........well it is not real to us no pics LOL

I can't wait to see!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Lots of people here have the Dolphin brand robot, including me, but my pool is still too new to use it.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

I spend too much time here. I keep seeing this title when I search New Threads and I automatically think Muriatic Acid instead of Massachusetts.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

LOL Richard!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi Kim,
    Yup -- absolutely doing it. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how. I just got my signature set, so personal progress is being made!

Best,
    Bonnie

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think my builder does vinyl, but congratulations on your pool. It sounds as though it will be lovely. Who is your builder? Mine is Stone Edge.
    Bonnie, Concord, MA
    22X42, 680 sq. ft, free form, pebble sheen, Pentair Clean & Clear, Pentair IntelliFlo 3hp, Intellichlor, Pentair 3,000 BTU Heat Pump, Globate LEDs, Dolphin Premier 500

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm going to attempt to post some pictures here. Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

The dig is done -- no ledge thank goodness -- a smooth and easy process overall. Here's the shape of the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the shape of the pool from the back (deep end)

Bonnie, Concord, MA
    22X42, 680 sq. ft, free form, pebble sheen, Pentair Clean & Clear, Pentair IntelliFlo 3hp, Intellichlor, Pentair 3,000 BTU Heat Pump, Globate LEDs, Dolphin Premier 500

14. Back To Top    #14

You did it! I see the pics!

SWEET!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

[/URL]

- - - Updated - - -

Rebar!
    Bonnie, Concord, MA

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks great!

Also another vote for a robot, I'm not a fan of adding a booster pump.

So many PB's suggest that route, it must be more profitable to mark up 2 items (pump + cleaner) instead of just the one (robot). Just a theory...

17. Back To Top    #17

Bonnie this is where you get out your tape measure and make sure it is long, wide, deep, short, etc enough in each area. NOW is the time to fix it if it is not. Add about 6 inches for the gunite and plaster.

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

This forum is invaluable. Really invaluable.

So, how do I measure whether everything is as long, wide, deep, short, etc. in each area? I have a regular tape measure, but is there something I should buy that would make doing this easier -- or will a regular tape measure do? I haven't posted pictures yet, but the initial in-pool plumbing is done and gunite is happening either Monday or Tuesday -- so tomorrow is the day for me to measure!

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Bonnie this is where you get out your tape measure and make sure it is long, wide, deep, short, etc enough in each area. NOW is the time to fix it if it is not. Add about 6 inches for the gunite and plaster.

Kim
    Bonnie, Concord, MA

19. Back To Top    #19

Pool is coming along nicely. I am curious why you put it so far from the house?
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

20. Back To Top    #20

Boonie you can just use your tape measure that you have. You should have your pool plans. Get that out and see what the plans say it should be. You can also look at each area............do the steps LOOK right? Is the deep end deep enough? Shallow end? Sun shelf-big enough? deep enough?

PLEASE use GREAT care if you decide to get in to measure.

Kim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast