Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

I had my pool/spa opened yesterday. During the process, the tech said that there was a problem with three of my spa jets. He showed me a long white plastic part and said that three of that part were too long for three of the jets. He said that he could put them in, but that due to the length they will stick out of the jet and we won't be able to adjust the jet.

Of course, this made absolutely no sense to me since we didn't have such a problem when we closed the pool. This is a new pool so I don't know everything yet. I questioned him further about this and he had no explanation, other than telling me he knows what he's talking about (telling me that he used to work for the company that build my pool). I told him that nothing was wrong before, and he should take another look. After doing so, he all of a sudden said it turns out that only one of the three that he thought were too long were too long. He said that he didn't have a tool to do it, but that simply cutting that piece shorter would fix the issue. I was thinking that maybe since the spa is gunite it might not be 100% equally shaped everywhere and maybe the builder had different lengths for those parts to match what each jet needed, and maybe the tech didn't match each one up with the corresponding jet...but that's totally a guess on my part and maybe I'm wrong and maybe that particular part would never end up being a different length per jet.

I had my 6 month old with me at the time and it was cold out yesterday so I couldn't go out there and check it out, or get too deep into the conversation with him. I figured that I'd take a look when I was able to and if there were any issues I'd reach out to his boss and say that the tech must of been doing something wrong if we didn't have this problem when we closed the pool (and used the same company).

Now that I was able to go out there, I see what he was talking about and there's no way this just happened all of a sudden.

I was just wondering if anyone on here knew what the tech might of been doing wrong, so that I can avoid dealing with this company further as I've had a lot of problems with them.

Here's a picture of the jet that has this issue:

IMG_3324_zpsiumwmcst.jpg

Here's a pic of one that doesn't have the issue:

IMG_3326_zps92ankwny.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

The spa jets should be recessed behind the spa wall at least a few inches and nor more than about 10". So the one in the first picture is too long. However, were the jets recessed before? If so and they had been removed, you have to replace each jet in the location that it came from because they may not all be the same length. He might of just mixed them up. Have him remove all the jets and compare their lengths.

The spa jets should be recessed behind the spa wall at least a few inches and nor more than about 10". So the one in the first picture is too long. However, were the jets recessed before? If so and they had been removed, you have to replace each jet in the location that it came from because they may not all be the same length. He might of just mixed them up. Have him remove all the jets and compare their lengths.

Thanks for the info. Yes, they were recessed before this company did the closing and then opening. That's exactly what I was thinking (that he just had to match them up). I already left a message with his boss, asking for a different person to come that has more experience.

Could the tech putting the wrong jet in the wrong location cause bubbling to come from that jet? Just wondering because the company that incorrectly did the opening is finally coming back tomorrow and I wasn't sure if that's something I should address with them, as I have noticed a good amount of small bubbling ever since they started the pool back up (just from a few returns...a couple in the spa and one in the pool).

No, the normal returns in the pool or spa should not have bubbles. Just the spa therapy jets should have bubbles because of the venturi tees.

Ok, thanks. Makes sense. So I think he put a spa return in the pool. I'll address that with him when he comes to fix it today.

The guy finally came today and shot me a message after saying that the reason I have the bubbling is because:
"The bubbling is normal the way the have the check valve flap set up its half in half so it not letting all the water through so it pulls a little air no big deal..."

I guess he's talking about the way the pool builder did the install - is what he's saying making sense? I think it's lying and I've been having huge issues with him not showing up, not doing the work right, and other issues. I'm not getting bubbling from all of my returns, only a few.

I am not sure what he is talking about.

First, are the bubbles coming out of the pool returns, pool jets (spa like) or the spa jets or a spa return?

No bubbles should come out of a standard return, pool or spa after startup because it is a closed system and no air should ever enter the system unless you have a leak somewhere. However with spa jets, it is a different story since there are venturi air lines attached so those will draw in air and are suppose to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure what he is talking about.

First, are the bubbles coming out of the pool returns, pool jets (spa like) or the spa jets or a spa return?

No bubbles should come out of a standard return, pool or spa after startup because it is a closed system and no air should ever enter the system unless you have a leak somewhere. However with spa jets, it is a different story since there are venturi air lines attached so those will draw in air and are suppose to.

The bubbles seem to be coming out of one of the pool returns all the time, and also a few of the spa jets (when the blower isn't on), but not all of them. I think he didn't reinstall them correctly when opening the pool. His answer doesn't make sense to me either. He seems to be lying about a few things...wish I didn't hire this company. Can't believe they're a major pool company in our area.

The bubbles seem to be coming out of one of the pool returns all the time
Are they very tiny bubbles? Could be the SWG.

and also a few of the spa jets (when the blower isn't on), but not all of them
That can happen even without the blower so I wouldn't be concerned. The venturis will pull in air into the stream.

Are they very tiny bubbles? Could be the SWG.
They're pretty small. I don't think it has to do with the SWG though, as I just had that installed last week and the bubbling has been happening ever since they opened the pool (about a month ago).

That can happen even without the blower so I wouldn't be concerned. The venturis will pull in air into the stream.
Ok, thanks. I did further testing and noticed that one of the spa jets is not bubbling at all when the blower is on. I think that the pool return that I'm seeing the small bubbles come out of was incorrectly swapped with the spa jet. Sound likely to you?

Tiny bubbles out of an SWG are completely normal and expected, that's why I asked if they were small. If you want to confirm, simply turn off the SWG and see if they go away.

Also, it is not possible to interchange a spa jet with a normal return. They don't have the same fixture.

However, if one of the spa jets does not bubble with the blower on, that jet could be blocked with debris and may need to be cleared out.

Tiny bubbles out of an SWG are completely normal and expected, that's why I asked if they were small. If you want to confirm, simply turn off the SWG and see if they go away.

Also, it is not possible to interchange a spa jet with a normal return. They don't have the same fixture.

However, if one of the spa jets does not bubble with the blower on, that jet could be blocked with debris and may need to be cleared out.

The bubbles still happen with the SWG off. I want to remove all the jets myself but don't know how - do you know if I need a special tool or anything like that? I tried searching online but can't find a "how to" for a gunite pool/spa.

Most (but all) spa jets will come out with a 9/16" long socket wrench but it depends on the jet style. From the pictures, it looks like you should be able to a long socket wrench for removal but you need to remove the eyeballs first.

Also, sometime PBs will put in spa like jets into the pool area to have a therapy jet there as well. They may have a separate air line. But again, if the pool return is a normal pool return, it shouldn't have bubbles coming out of it.

Most (but all) spa jets will come out with a 9/16" long socket wrench but it depends on the jet style. From the pictures, it looks like you should be able to a long socket wrench for removal but you need to remove the eyeballs first.

Also, sometime PBs will put in spa like jets into the pool area to have a therapy jet there as well. They may have a separate air line. But again, if the pool return is a normal pool return, it shouldn't have bubbles coming out of it.

Ok, thaks very much. I'll check it out. As far as removing the eyeball, should the surround just twist off? I tried doing it by hand but it wouldn't come off. I'm thinking to try with a wrench next but didn't want to do so if that isn't the right way.

Some are push on others have threads. Those look to be the push on types. If you have a putty knife you can get under the lip and pry it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.