Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Re-plaster - Los Angeles

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Angeles

Pool Re-plaster - Los Angeles

Hi Everyone -

I am in the process of having my inground pool replastered, as well as having the copper plumbing replaced, new skimmer, and new pump installed and relocating the existing steps. The demo, plumbing, skimmer, and pump have been installed and they are in the process of adding the new steps before they start the plaster. I have a couple of questions about the process they are using to build the steps. They started forming the steps using cinderblocks, rebar, and concrete. They are about halfway done and we realized the top step was going to be too small, so we asked our contractor about making it bigger. He said he could, and he would do it the same day they are replastering the pool by using cinder blocks, rebar, and then using the plaster to fill it in. I questioned why he wasnt going to use concrete and he said he could if we wanted but it would take more time for the concrete to harden. He said the plaster is actually stronger than the concrete so we wont have any kind of structual problems and that they normally dont do that because the plaster is more expensive than concrete. So my question is, is this correct? Should i be concerned about the structual integrity of these steps? For what its worth, a large portion of the steps have been filled with concrete, it will just be the top step and bottom step that are made from the cinder block ,rebar, and filled with plaster.

Last edited by Bama Rambler; 04-14-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting issues.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Re-plaster - Los Angeles

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Personally, I would prefer earth, rebar, and cement for my steps. I wouldn't want a lot filled in with plaster like that, or what I am imagining.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sunny SoCal

Re: Pool Re-plaster - Los Angeles

Go with the concrete... summer isnt here yet.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir