Equipment upgrade time

hcagle

Jul 8, 2013
Seeking Advice on what to upgrade to get the biggest bang for the buck. Thank you in advance for all those who participate on this forum. you have been a great help to me in the past.

I have an in-ground pool and spa. The pool runs okay, the spa is lame. one pump runs both, we just turn the gate valves back and forth to direct the suction and discharge spa->pool, pool->spa. We have a DE filter system. Here is what I know :

* Pool is about 30,000 gallons, spa has 9 jets - 7/16 each , two drains -but only one 2' inch pipe at pump.
*pluming is 2" pipe. - pretty sure all the way around the equipment.
*Spa and pool is about 48 feet from equipment
*Hayward northstar pump with century motor - HP=1.5 SF=1.00 Partno: 0-184982-23.
*Filter is a American Titan Vertical – Model: 586090 Pressure DE
Filter media is 60sqft
Max work pressure: 50 psi
Flow Rate w/o slurry: 150 gpm
Flow Rate with slurry: 180 gpm
*Gas pool heater is attached with 2" piping

approximately -17 feet of the 48 feet of distance is covered by a pea gravel cement patio.

I am a do it yourselfer, no problem there. Pictures of everything are attached.

Questions:

Do I upgrade pump and motor - maybe 2 speed motor, side discharge pump for higher flow or just motor?

Do I add another motor and pump just for the SPA jets? if so what size? Leave current pump for pool and spa

Do I need to change to larger diameter piping at the junction of gate valves of drains to motor? 2.5" or 3"

Since the pool and spa both run on existing filtration, is it okay to run the spa by passing the filtration, just using pump and strainer basket - I get better flow that way?

If the SPA is toast with 9 jets and 2" inch pipe, would it make sense to put in larger pipe as far as I could up to the cement then connect to existing pipe?

My goal is to have a great running spa.

I know that's a lot, I appreciate any help one can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_0156[1].jpg
    IMG_0156[1].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0150[1].jpg
    IMG_0150[1].jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_015right.jpg
    IMG_015right.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
This could be really easy and if you want to stay with Hayward, a new VS pump may work great for you... You would only have to change the pump and then kick to a higher speed for spa use... :)

Amazon.com : Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

You can fine tune your flow and set pump times and speeds to what you want or need... Just remember to install a a surge protector at the pump, these VS pumps a very sensitive Intermatic AG3000 120/240 VAC Universal HVAC Surge Protective Device - Computer Surge Protectors - Amazon.com

I apologize for the pictures being upside down. I could not get them to load right side up. I am not sure about another Hayward pumps. I have heard people are having issues with them. is there a better alternative?

also how high of a horsepower can I go before I get into diminishing returns for my pipe size and filter?

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.