I am all ears, just started learning 10 months ago

Apr 13, 2016
Evans, GA
As my user name implies, I didn't know jack about pools until 10 months ago when I bought a house with one. Everything I know about pools I have googled or have lurked it here. I am posting a new thread about my liner staining issue, not sure which category to put it in but y'all will see it. So far I have done a lot to my pool. I have replaced an old centurion triton pump with a Hayward variable speed programmable. By the way, I did all of this myself. I don't believe in paying someone for something i can read about and learn how to do. I have replaced the de filter grids, replaced some 3 way diverter valves, replaced some leaking plumbing and valves, and a few small things not worth mentioning. So, you can see I am a hands on kind of guy.

Hello PC and welcome to TFP! :wave: Kudos for doing so much on your own already. :salut: That's fantastic. Item #1, how are you testing your water? Hopefully with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. As for your staining issues, it could be metal (iron) in the water, but may be too early to tell. A couple tests you can do .... gently hold a chlorine tab on the stain for a short bit, but keep it moving to not damage the liner (organic). You can also take some crushed vitamin C tablets (in a sock or something) and hold those to the stain (metals). Let us know if either of those methods works. You can also can check with your water company and/or take a fresh sample of fill water from your hose to the pool store to see what they come-up with. Let us know please. Great to have you with us.

attachment.php

Ralphie says welcome.

Hey there neighbor! Sounds like you're a very handy guy. Toss a pic of your pool our way and we'll answer any question you have :)

Actually.... we answer without pics too.. its just that we're kinda weird and like looking at everyone else's pools.

Yip :flower:

Hello PC and welcome to TFP! :wave: Kudos for doing so much on your own already. :salut: That's fantastic. Item #1, how are you testing your water? Hopefully with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. As for your staining issues, it could be metal (iron) in the water, but may be too early to tell. A couple tests you can do .... gently hold a chlorine tab on the stain for a short bit, but keep it moving to not damage the liner (organic). You can also take some crushed vitamin C tablets (in a sock or something) and hold those to the stain (metals). Let us know if either of those methods works. You can also can check with your water company and/or take a fresh sample of fill water from your hose to the pool store to see what they come-up with. Let us know please. Great to have you with us.

Many thanks for the replies. I am testing with an "aqua chem" 2 way kit that I hate. Seems like when my chlorine is anything above 4ppm, it is all the same color of yellow. And it is very hard for me to match the colors less than 4ppm. The ph side of the scale seems a little better, but never matches what the local pool store ( leslies ) says the ph is. usually off by as much as 0.4 . Anyway, just haven't decided if it is me, leslies, or the aqua chem kit. I bought a little container of test strips from leslies, but the ph indicator on it is not very easy to read at all. I am not color blind, but the colors seem too close a shade for me to feel confident in any readings, unless it is way too high or way too low. How much is too much to spend on a decent test kit? I almost bought a $10 4-way kit at Academy tonight, but shied away because I thought it might give me the same frustrations.

As far as the staining goes, I am on my second ascorbic acid treatment. This is a long story. Should I start a new thread?

Thanks again!

Hey there neighbor! Sounds like you're a very handy guy. Toss a pic of your pool our way and we'll answer any question you have :)

Actually.... we answer without pics too.. its just that we're kinda weird and like looking at everyone else's pools.

Yip :flower:

Hello! Glad to see you and I live in the same area. Maybe you can recommend the best area pool resources, or tell me who the worst are so I can stay away from them!

Accck! Leslie's is a hoot! How quickly did they tell you your phosphates were too high and try to sell you a $50 bottle of magic??

Don't buy any other test kit but either the Taylor's K-2006 C or TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Worth every penny and will save you TONS on buying unneeded chemicals.

Do you have 5 min a day to perform testing? That's all it takes, really!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Accck! Leslie's is a hoot! How quickly did they tell you your phosphates were too high and try to sell you a $50 bottle of magic??

Don't buy any other test kit but either the Taylor's K-2006 C or TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Worth every penny and will save you TONS on buying unneeded chemicals.

Do you have 5 min a day to perform testing? That's all it takes, really!

Yep, They got me! My phosphates are too high, or so it is said. I have a bottle of perfect weekly. Don't know if it is working or not, but I will trust anybody once....but only once if they give me reason to doubt. Now I know.