Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to replace weir door

1. Back To Top    #1

How to replace weir door

Hello all. Got a question maybe someone here can help me with. I am trying to replace the weir door on my U3 skimmer. The weir is Pentair 08650-0022 assembly which is a hinge with the door attached. I got the old one out easily because the door was missing and it was simple to unscrew the old hinge part. But when I try to install the new assembly (door attached to hinge) it just floats up before I can get the screw started (one screw hold the hinge). My question is has anyone here replaced this weir door before and have any special tips that might help me? The pool is pretty full now due to recent rains, but being in California I am not about to lower the water level.

Thanks in advance, I would appreciate any help!
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to replace weir door

It's a little tricky. You have to raise the door and push down with one hand while installing the screw with the other.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to replace weir door

With my physical limitations, I can only get one hand at a time in the skimmer. I will have to come up with some one-handed option. I was thinking maybe I could break a regular pencil in two then tape the eraser end so it sticks up perhaps 3/8" above the top of the weir door then position the hinge into the slot and jam the door against the top of the skimmer housing. If it would stay, then I could tape the screw to the end of the screwdriver and get the screw started. Will try that tomorrow and see what happens.....
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.