Cracks in concrete pool

Hello, thanks in advance for all replies.

I have an inground pool 15X35 depth is 3' to 8'. I walked out today and looked in the pool. There is an area approximately 2' in length that is cracked. Along this crack there are numerous other cracks branching off from the main one. I was out here a couple days ago and there was no visible sign of anything.

What would be causing this and is there a way I can repair it?

HI! I am sorry you are here for such a reason :(

Does your pool have water in it? (sorry had to ask to make sure)

How old is the pool?

Please take and share pics of your pool and surrounding area so we can see what you are working with. (Use photo bucket or such)

I hope we can help you.

Kim

Welcome to TFP!

Pools usually crack from soil movement under them. Our pool has cracked twice, once in 2012 and once in 2015. It cracked in 2012 due to drought and soil contraction. I added a micro-irrigation on a timer system around the pool to maintain even soil moisture. We got lots of rain in spring 2015 and I didn't start the system soon enough after the rain and the soil contracted again and the pool cracked again. The first crack leaked water and second two cracks did not leak. Both times the PB fixed by cleaning the cracks out with a flat head screw driver and stuffing them full of epoxy.

We need pictures. Lots of pictures. Of the crack from up close and far away and of the total pool area.

How old is the pool? Ever replastered? With what when?

Fisrt is this a crack in the plaster or the gunite shell?

Gunite pool shells generally don't crack unless there is some outside force like a tree root or severe soil movement. Plaster cranks from a number of causes.

So get us some pictures and some history and we can help.

Unfortunately I can't answer all the questions. I can answer one. It does have water in it. Lol

I don't know how old the pool is because I just moved in a few months ago. I would guess around 10 years old. I have no idea if it has ever been replastered. How do I tell if it is plaster or gunite?

I will try and post some picture tonight after work.

A Gunite pool will have a plaster based interior coating. Unless it's all tile, but these are not the norm. If the pool isn't a vinyl liner, or made from fiberglass, it's a Gunite pool. It's hard to say, but usually if the Gunite shell is cracked You'd see much longer cracks, not unlike those you'd see the width on a patio or driveway. I would lean toward this being just the plaster coating that's cracked, but it's only a guess.

Sounds like it is a gunite pool. It does not appear to be leaking. My water level was not low. If it's only the plaster is the a fix that I can do without draining it? I would not want to drain it this time of year with all the water in the soil and risk it floating up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Both times my cracks were fixed underwater with 2 part epoxy that cures underwater. You can look on your county appraisal district to see what year the pool was built.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.