New Pool - Equipment and Finish Feedback

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
Hi all. In the thick of our pool build here in New Orleans. Roughly 28 x 15, free form pool, "sport" type pool - 3.5 ft on either end, to a depth of 5.5 ft in middle, bench and tanning ledge, a couple of "bubblers." Doing traditional chlorine (that's what my wife is familiar with, as she's had pools in the past). We have had the gunite in for a few weeks now and are hopefully going to be installing equipment ASAP, if the rain ever lets up here, so this is a bit short notice (may be moot, as it may happen tomorrow), but just wanted to run the equipment list by the wise folks here for any feedback. Seems our builder knows what they're doing and is using quality stuff, been happy with them so far. Here's what we've got (all Pentair, except for heater):

Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filters (160340)
Intellibrite 5G White LED Pool Lights (2, need to verify this - she says they are 500W equivalent, but the part number she provided previously was only for 100W equivalent, which seems too little)
Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V (011018)
Rainbow Automatic Chlorine/Bromine Feeders (R171096)
Hayward HeatPro Titanium 140,000 BTU AHRI Residential Pool Heat Pump (HP21404T, this is what we have for our pool in FL, and we are very happy with it)

One thing that is still up in the air is automation - initially hadn't planned on it (pool builder didn't think it was really worth it), but I kind of love the idea of being able to control the heater, lights, etc. remotely, so she's giving me some options, so that may happen.

One thing that is definitely still up in the air is pool finish. Our pool in FL was built in the 80s (not by us) and has the original plaster which is showing its age, but so far we've been able to put off refinishing. So our initial thought was just to go with marcite, as that seemed to be tried and true, lasts for a long time. Then we learned that marcite is not what it used to be (namely because they no longer include asbestos in the mix) and doesn't last nearly as long as it used to, so it was back to the drawing board. Our pool builder says 80% of the pools they do in Diamond Brite, but we are just not sold on Diamond Brite, for various reasons. Then we were introduced to Wet Edge, and really like their products, and from everything I've been able to find, it's a solid product. Our pool builder unfortunately does not offer it (or at least has not done it before), and there's actually only one installer in this area, so we are talking to him about doing it.

Now here's the rub. We were initially drawn to the Luna Quartz line (leaning heavily toward Pacific, but also considering Aruba), but it turns out this guy is offering a few of the Satin Matrix lines (probably the only ones we'd consider would be Northshore Caribbean or Northshore Tahoe) at the same price as the Luna Quartz, so the part of me that loves a good deal feels like we should go for that. BUT, my wife is really no fan of pebble-type finishes, she is very concerned about the texture, even of the Satin Matrix (and I think she's correct that there definitely is a difference in the feel - I don't personally think the Satin Matrix is "rough," but it's definitely more texture to it that the Luna Quartz, and she prefers the smooth feel of that). I have been trying to find a pool around here with it, so we could at least see what it looks like and feels like in reality, but unfortunately that is proving impossible. So I think there's a good chance we'll end up with Luna Quartz, but was just curious about folks opinions on that as well.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but this is all new to me and there's so much to learn and make decisions about! Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts, feedback, red flags, etc.

That's sort of an ongoing discussion here. Some, like PebbleTec, have to be certified installers. But it all really boils down to the quality of the application. The best thing to do would be to go see some pools that your PB has built. Check out the surface roughness, since that's a concern, and see how you like them.

Right, that's my understanding. Yes, that's what I was hoping to do, but like I said, unfortunately doesn't look like we have many options to look at. Our builder has done virtually only traditional plaster and Diamond Brite, which we're not really interested in.

Yeah, Wet Edge only allows certified installers, that's why there's only the one guy here and few pools with it, but we're thinking since he has to be certified, that's a plus.

Very little in the way of any type of pebble finish around here. All of the builders I talk to pretty much don't do it. Lots of standard white or died gray plaster and then Diamondbrite/Quartzscapes.

Don't know why exactly you are not sold on DB but although my pool is brand new I am really impressed with the finish. It has a lot of depth to it and is still incredibly smooth. I would be willing to bet the same company who installed mine would be doing yours as well. If you are willing to drive across the lake you are more than welcome to come take a look.

Yep, that's what we've been finding as well. Thanks so much for the offer. There is plenty of Diamond Brite here on the South Shore for us to look at.

Re why not sold on DB - I don't know exactly, had just heard some very worrisome things re it, versus nothing bad re Luna Quartz (although this could just be a factor of DB being so more prevalent, of course there are going to be some unhappy customers). It's also my understanding that the Luna Quartz is mixed with 100% quartz sand (or whatever that is exactly), while I'm not sure if that's the case with DB? And we particularly like a couple of the Luna Quartz colors. AND, finally, it's the same price as DB, so we're thinking, why not go for it?

The only wrinkle is that the upcharge on Primera Stone is much less than I thought, at least for one of the finishes (only about $1k more than Luna Quartz), so now I am considering that. The wife is still skeptical, but I tell her we have to at least consider it (my understanding is it's a far superior product - but then again, I saw one thing that said someone said it stains, but who knows).

So certainly interested in any thoughts re Luna Quartz vs Primera Stone.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

The one issue I see with going with either of those finishes is the fact that the builders and installers just are not all that familiar with it around here. Something they do rarely as opposed to something they do all the time. That is a big reason I did not purse doing a pebble finish. Seems like nobody here does them or wants to do them.

I hear you. Well we actually don't want a pebble finish, my wife hates the pebble, that's why we're either going with the Luna Quartz (which as we've been discussing, is essentially the same as Diamond Brite) or Primera Stone (which yes, OK, is pebble, but is polished, so is quite different). I would have those same concerns, but for the fact that Wet Edge is very particular about who installs their finishes, it must be certified installers, who have had significant training and such (which is one of the reasons it is so limited here). That's why there is just the one guy, but sounds like he's been in the business for quite some time, has been doing pools all over the state, and also MS and AL, and in all of our dealings with him, we've felt confident about going with him.

Btw, saw your pool in your build post - looks awesome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.