Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Don't know if this is ok

1. Back To Top    #1

Don't know if this is ok

I have just set up the pump and filter and got all the air out (hopefully). This is what confuses me, if I run the pump on high I am around 12psi, but when I run it on low I have 0 psi. There is water coming out the top of the filter if I open up the relief. Is this normal or did I mess something up??

Other question, if I put my solar cover on it spins with the pool. I have added a bungee to stop the cover from spinning, isnt it better to have it spin as that would mean better circulation??
    21'X52" AGP
    Brominator
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Cart Filter.
    More to come soon as I am a Newbie!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Don't know if this is ok

Is this normal or did I mess something up??
    It sounds normal. On low, the pump is not circulating the water fast enough to register on the guage. Those guages are cheap and are most likely incorrect in the very low ranges. (i.e. you have some pressure but the guage can't register it. It's likely 1-2psi

As long as you can feel a decent flow of water coming from the returns, you are fine.

12psi is very normal when the pump is on high.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think it's normal. My pump is a 2HP 2 speed and on low I'm barely a 3. On high I'm 14, so I think you are right there.

BTW, my gauge never moves to indicate a dirty filter....keep that in mind in 4-6 weeks it might be time to take it out and give it a cleaning....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Discobrian24
    Other question, if I put my solar cover on it spins with the pool. I have added a bungee to stop the cover from spinning, isnt it better to have it spin as that would mean better circulation??
    I'd say that is just an indicator that you have good circulation -- no need to restrain it. Paint a big swirly on it and watch the show!

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys you are the greatest.
    21'X52" AGP
    Brominator
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Cart Filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok I aimed my return down and to the one side and stopped it from spinnin.
    21'X52" AGP
    Brominator
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Cart Filter.