Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand in the sediment window

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand in the sediment window

Just wondering if the sediment window is suppose to have sand in it? Mine has about 1/2 - 3/4 full of sand.

- - - Updated - - -

On the intex sand filter install video, it appears to have no sand inside of it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand in the sediment window

Run it through a rinse till the bulb clears. Then turn back to filter.

Intex - Round, Above Ground, Vinyl - 22'X52" / 10475 gal. Full sun 95% of day. Sand Filter w/ SWG.

3. Back To Top    #3

So, there should not be any sand in the sediment window? It seems like it would take a long time to rinse all the sand out of the sediment window. What causes sand to build up in the window?

4. Back To Top    #4

It acts like a tell tale gauge of sorts to let you know when you rinsed out the filter properly. The sand builds up in there when you back flush as a sign of cleaning, so you rinse until it is clear.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's not unusual for a little sand, even a tiny bit of filter sand to settle out there on backwashing. You want the water to be clear and clean in the sight glass to indicate you got a good backwash. If you're that full something isn't right. Do you mean it's half full of pool filter sand, or dirt that gets in your pool? If it's all filter sand, you may have over-filled the filter. Just a guess without more info.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

I recently installed an Intex sand filter and have the same problem. On the first backwash a huge amount of sand flooded the site glass. I back washed for a while and have back washed once more since then, without it clearing the glass of the sand. My guess is the large amount of loose sand that got flung around during initial back wash. This evening I plan on removing the site glass and emptying the sand from it, and I don't expect toto have that large amount on the next backwash.

7. Back To Top    #7

I to have an intex sand filter. Sand builds up in my sight glass also. In mine, it is less than a teaspoon though, just barely enough to notice anything. On mine, even after a good rinse cycle its still there. To me its not much to worry about. And unless you have your backwash port hooked up to pvc and you can't see the water coming out, I don't even know why there is a sight glass there? I like looking at the water coming out the end of the hose, not a tiny little bubble of a sight glass.