Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie - Adding Bleach - Basic question

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Newbie - Adding Bleach - Basic question

Okay, I ran across the site and I'm going to start working to maintain my pool with the Trouble Free method. One quick question (wasn't sure where to post this):

My pool is two years old, and up to this point, I've added granular chlorine through the skimmer nearest the equipment (that's what the pool builder told me to do). It appears if I make the transition to Bleach, I am supposed to add directly to the pool in front of a return, and not through the skimmer. I just want to make sure that pouring Bleach directly in the water won't adversely affect my pool surface (PebbleSheen). Maybe a dumb question, but just wanted to verify the method for adding.

Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie - Adding Bleach - Basic question

You are more likely to have caused damage adding the granules directly to the skimmer rather than adding it elsewhere. When added to the skimmer, the FC levels in the skimmer, piping, pump, etc. is significantly higher than that of the rest of the pool. By pouring the bleach directly into the pool in front of a return you are immediately mixing it into the entire pool volume. This reduces spots of very high localized FC. Many leaks are believed to have been caused in skimmers and piping because of what your builder suggested. Glad you found the site and welcome.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Alright! Welcome to TFP Cody! No dumb questions. Yes, pour slowly near a return jet. That's what I do everyday. It's safe for the water, pool, and especially equipment. We almost never recommend adding anything to the skimmer for various reasons. Glad to have you with us Cody.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much! So safe to say the only thing I need to add to skimmer is DE when backwashing or cleaning the filter?

5. Back To Top    #5

That's about it. Although some users like to add stabilizer by placing in a sock (first) then laying it in the skimmer. Many others will suspend the sock near a return jet as well. You'll see many more examples of how to add chemicals on the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!