Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 24 Hour Ozonator With Swg - Keep Ozone On Or Off?

1. Back To Top    #1

24 Hour Ozonator With Swg - Keep Ozone On Or Off?

We just recently bought a 440 gallon Divine hot tub with a 24 hour circulation pump and Del Ozonator. I really like the simplicity of chlorine and good experience with my pool swg so I decided to purchase a ControlOMatic ChlorMaker DO. I have recently learned how ozonators will oxidize the chlorine along with everything else, I just haven't been able to find the rate at which it will oxidize the chlorine. As far as bather load we will prob use it at least every night or every other night (1-3 bathers).

I have also read that the ozone can break down a spa cover and pillows faster, is this true? How much faster? Is this reason enough to unplug the ozonator?
    20' KD Above Ground Pool 8,500 gallons
    1.5 Hayward Pump
    Gulfstream Heat Pump HE 90

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 24 Hour Ozonator With Swg - Keep Ozone On Or Off?

If you're using the spa very regularly, the ozonator can help eliminate chlorination by-products (combined chlorine species). Ideally, the ozonator would only run during and for a while after each soak but in a heavily (daily) used tubs, it won't have a great effect on how much chlorine demand you have. If the spa were only lightly used, such as once a week, it would reduce some chlorine demand to disable the ozonator when not in use. Ozonators work well in small volume situations like a spa but aren't necessary in an outdoor pool where CC is readily oxidized by sunlight.

I don't have any hard numbers on how much chlorine demand will increase when an ozonator is run 24/7 but there may be a few threads detailing this if you use the search box to find them.

I also don't know of any evidence of ozone increasing or causing breakdown of spa covers and pillows. I'd use the search box for that as well!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I have the same exact setup, I used the ControlOMatic ChlorMaker IL (inline) and I love it.. I also have an ozonator and I just left it on... it has discolored my cover but nothing else.. once I dialed in my SWG run time (number 4) it has worked great.. I am going on year 4 with my cover, year 2 with the SWG and year 6 with my tub...

I use my hot tub every night from Aug to Mar, About 1 time every other month my CC's go above .5 and I bring my tub to SLAM level and let it drop down on its own, works every time
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    If you're using the spa very regularly, the ozonator can help eliminate chlorination by-products (combined chlorine species). Ideally, the ozonator would only run during and for a while after each soak but in a heavily (daily) used tubs, it won't have a great effect on how much chlorine demand you have. If the spa were only lightly used, such as once a week, it would reduce some chlorine demand to disable the ozonator when not in use. Ozonators work well in small volume situations like a spa but aren't necessary in an outdoor pool where CC is readily oxidized by sunlight.
    Yeah I have searched around and came to that conclusion that intermittently would be best but not sure if I have that option with the Balboa spa pack installed, I will have to look more into it.

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I don't have any hard numbers on how much chlorine demand will increase when an ozonator is run 24/7 but there may be a few threads detailing this if you use the search box to find them.

I also don't know of any evidence of ozone increasing or causing breakdown of spa covers and pillows. I'd use the search box for that as well!
    Thank you, I did search but as you said I was unable to find any hard numbers. Since it is still so new and we use it almost every night I will leave it on as you recommend, maybe when it is not so well used I will try turning it off to see a difference.
    1.5 Hayward Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    I have the same exact setup, I used the ControlOMatic ChlorMaker IL (inline) and I love it.. I also have an ozonator and I just left it on... it has discolored my cover but nothing else.. once I dialed in my SWG run time (number 4) it has worked great.. I am going on year 4 with my cover, year 2 with the SWG and year 6 with my tub...

I use my hot tub every night from Aug to Mar, About 1 time every other month my CC's go above .5 and I bring my tub to SLAM level and let it drop down on its own, works every time
    Glad to hear the same setup works well. Right now mine is on level 7 and keeping the background level in check but I have had to add some chlorine after good soak but I kind of expected that.
    1.5 Hayward Pump