Replacing pump and adding SWG

Mar 15, 2016
Fort Mill/SC
Not sure if this would be better in the pumping forum or not, but hopefully this is a good start. Replacing a pump that died with Pentair 342001. Once I get it installed, plan on draining a large portion of the pool and filling back up then balancing the pool and adding the Circupool SJ-40. Currently my old pump is hooked to an intermatic timer. I'm not sure that's necessary with the new pump, so my thought process was to use that for the Circupool SJ-40. But I may be way off in understanding the capabilities of this new pump. It seems it has its own clock and timer and makes the intermatic unnecessary. I know the pump has to run when the SJ40 runs, so I thought this would be the easiest way.

What am I overlooking?

Good plan! :thumleft: You've got it all right. Your pump does have a built in timer and should be wired direct to the breaker. I have the same set up. My Pentair VS pump is wired to the breaker and runs in its internal timer. My SWG is wired to the time clock. It is handy because I usually run my pump longer than I need to run my SWG because we have lots of trees dropping leaves and stuff in the pool. So, I usually run the pump 12-24 hours and my SWG 6-8 hours.

Part one was a success, I have installed my pump. Part #2 is a bit of a challange. I need to move the pump off the timer. I'm guessing I'll be able to shutoff the breaker and somewhere I'll be able to connect those cables to the ones running from the pump? Anyone have suggestions for this? I have a picture of my current electrical layout
IMG_20160414_150334.jpg

My guess is somehow I have to Connect A to E, but leave the D, C, B connections in place to power the intermatic, then replace where A was with the SWG power? Or do I have to use a different power source? I have a pool light on the other side that is on a different circuit.
May 20, 2015, 2-04 PM.jpg

Is the box on top that says DANGER the intermatic timer? If so, I would shut off the power at some place before the timer. Open it up and just move the wires going to the pool pump from the load to the line side of the timer and you'll be done. It will take you longer to figure out which wires to move than it will to complete the process.

That's what I did on mine when I went over to a pump with a built in timer. As the earlier poster said it also allows more flexibility in running the SWCG.

Yes the danger box is the bottom of the timer. A is the wires coming from the pool pump, E comes from the breaker. So you're saying it's even easier than I'm making it out? Just move the wires from A to a different terminal on the timer? then put the SWG wires where they used to be and that will bypass the timer for the pump all together? Do I need to worry about running the pump and SWG on the same breaker?

You've got it, this one looks easy. Open the timer box and unscrew the tab holding the wires going to the new pool pump, remove the wires, and then place them on the tabs coming into the timer from the power source and you're done.

Just to be clear, move the two black "A" wires from the switched posts to the "B" posts on the timer and you're finished. The pool pump will now always be powered and you can set the run schedule on the pump directly.

Next, wire the SWCG to the "A" side of the intermatic timer and set it to run whenever you want as long as it is within the pool pump run cycle. Make sure any time the SWCG is running so is the pool pump. For example, my pool pump runs 10a - 5p but the SWCG is only powered from 12 -3p. The SWCG and the new pool pump won't pull enough combined current to be a problem for the breaker.

Looks like the big red switch will kill the power to everything so you can do it safely. Just check that the power is off with a power meter before you stick your hand in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Success, pump is now running independent of the timer. Not what I expected when I opened it up basically just wing nuts. Left the timer ones empty for now. Next step getting the darn circuit sj40 mounted on vinyl siding. In the meantime I'll try and get the pool drained about half way and refilled add salt and balance then get the swg installed...almost there, thanks for the help

Glad to hear you got it wired the way you want. When you open up those intermatic panels they're actually pretty basic once you start looking at them. It makes them really easy to rewire.

Why are you draining half the water out of the pool? Sky high CYA?

Take your time on the salt additions and make sure you measure the levels in the pool independent of the SWCG. It's a whole lot easier to put it in than drain it out. Not that I've ever made that mistake of course... ;) LOL!

pool drained this morning took about 2 hours. Currently filling (not sure its ever going to finish...), salt tester should arrive tomorrow. I have my sj-40 cell installed, still haven't found the best way to mount the control unit to my vinyl siding. Is it ok to let it fill with water before its balanced, if it's not on (that may be a stupid question)?

Pool is about 65 degrees after filling. Are there adjustments I need to make when testing the water for anything? After collecting it should I just let out warm up to 75 degrees before testing? Or does that not help at all?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.