Pentair VS 011018 - Large quantities of air immediately switching to lower speed

Blacknblu73

Bronze Supporter
Mar 1, 2016
Blue Springs, MO
I've searched the site, and found a few "sort of" related topics, but none quite like mine - so sorry if already asked and answered.

I have recently had my pool installed, and against my pool builders advice, I bought my Pentair VS 011018 pump (for $900 less than he was asking) off Amazon in February. Fast forward to the install, and running the pump (this past week). Any time I run the pump at lower speeds (1250 - 2350), my basket quickly drains down to half full, and my Hayward 72 SQ FT DE Filter starts taking on air. I asked the guy who installed the equipment if that was normal, and he said no - and took a look. He told me that I must have got a bad pump, and that's why I should have bought from them. I'm a little cautious as to his diagnosis, as he allowed a large quantity of DE to backflow into the pool while gluing some joints he missed during the install.

First - is this normal to have a basket run half full at lower speeds? Second, if not, would lube on the "O" ring resolve this? What would be some other suggestions?

I run my Intelliflo at 1200 RPM and always have a "little" are just under the lid. But I would think something is wrong if you have more air than this.

Lubing the "O" Ring would be the first thing I'd do.

Jim R.

I have the exact same pump, brand new and its doing the same thing. Although I think I have a suction side leak because when running at 2350 rpm or 3100 we still see some air bubbles coming into the basket. We are in the middle of troubleshooting.

Thanks - that sounds like the cheapest option. My next move was to get some really fine grit sandpaper and make sure the seat was level with no spurs (I suppose I can check that anyway).

I don't mind a little air, but it's to the point where it's making it to the filter, and I have to bleed the filter a couple times a day. More than anything, I'm worried about a leak under the concrete - there's a constant wet area on the corner they say "just isn't getting enough sun to dry out", and they'd rather blame the pump I bought than the plumbing they installed :blackhelicopter:

Alright, the owner stayed and replaced the majority of the unions and joints- and at this time, I don't have so much as a bubble at 1000 rpm. If anyone needs any recommendations for a pool builder in the greater Kansas City area, hit me up - this guy makes sure work gets done right!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.