Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair VS 011018 - Large quantities of air immediately switching to lower speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair VS 011018 - Large quantities of air immediately switching to lower speed

I've searched the site, and found a few "sort of" related topics, but none quite like mine - so sorry if already asked and answered.

I have recently had my pool installed, and against my pool builders advice, I bought my Pentair VS 011018 pump (for $900 less than he was asking) off Amazon in February. Fast forward to the install, and running the pump (this past week). Any time I run the pump at lower speeds (1250 - 2350), my basket quickly drains down to half full, and my Hayward 72 SQ FT DE Filter starts taking on air. I asked the guy who installed the equipment if that was normal, and he said no - and took a look. He told me that I must have got a bad pump, and that's why I should have bought from them. I'm a little cautious as to his diagnosis, as he allowed a large quantity of DE to backflow into the pool while gluing some joints he missed during the install.

First - is this normal to have a basket run half full at lower speeds? Second, if not, would lube on the "O" ring resolve this? What would be some other suggestions?
    16x36 inground pool - 8.5 deep, 3.5' shallow vinyl - Pentair VS 011018 Pump, Hayward 72 SQ FT Pro-Grid Vertical Grid In Ground Pool DE Filter, Easytouch 520705 (with IC40 SWG), Pentair Mastertemp 300 (460734)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair VS 011018 - Large quantities of air immediately switching to lower speed

I run my Intelliflo at 1200 RPM and always have a "little" are just under the lid. But I would think something is wrong if you have more air than this.

Lubing the "O" Ring would be the first thing I'd do.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentair VS 011018 - Large quantities of air immediately switching to lower speed

I have the exact same pump, brand new and its doing the same thing. Although I think I have a suction side leak because when running at 2350 rpm or 3100 we still see some air bubbles coming into the basket. We are in the middle of troubleshooting.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks - that sounds like the cheapest option. My next move was to get some really fine grit sandpaper and make sure the seat was level with no spurs (I suppose I can check that anyway).

I don't mind a little air, but it's to the point where it's making it to the filter, and I have to bleed the filter a couple times a day. More than anything, I'm worried about a leak under the concrete - there's a constant wet area on the corner they say "just isn't getting enough sun to dry out", and they'd rather blame the pump I bought than the plumbing they installed :blackhelicopter:
    16x36 inground pool - 8.5 deep, 3.5' shallow vinyl - Pentair VS 011018 Pump, Hayward 72 SQ FT Pro-Grid Vertical Grid In Ground Pool DE Filter, Easytouch 520705 (with IC40 SWG), Pentair Mastertemp 300 (460734)

5. Back To Top    #5

The owner came out today, and found 5 mistakes his crew made while configuring the plumbing. He called his crew back, and is having them fix their errors. Honestly, I'm kind of impressed. Hopefully this resolves our issue(s).

6. Back To Top    #6

Alright, the owner stayed and replaced the majority of the unions and joints- and at this time, I don't have so much as a bubble at 1000 rpm. If anyone needs any recommendations for a pool builder in the greater Kansas City area, hit me up - this guy makes sure work gets done right!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good news! Glad it's fixed.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach