Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long should the pump run before I test the water upon opening for the season?

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile How long should the pump run before I test the water upon opening for the season?

Good Morning TFP!

I like to ask the easy questions

I am opening the pool myself for the first time this year. Once I get the pump up and running, how long should I wait before testing the water to get an accurate reading? I would like to avoid throwing things in blindly or on false numbers ....

Thanks for you help.
    Thanks!!
    18ft x 36ft 24500 gal vinyl liner inground
    Salt water pool - swim pure plus
    Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long should the pump run before I test the water upon opening for the season?

I would run it for a few hours and get any debris out that you need to, then test. You'd probably be fine after about an hour, but I would personally wait longer.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How long should the pump run before I test the water upon opening for the season?

I would be comfortable with running at least an hour with good circulation before pulling a sample. From there, take a peek at the Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool to make sure you're not forgetting anything. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I would be comfortable with running at least an hour with good circulation before pulling a sample. From there, take a peek at the Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool to make sure you're not forgetting anything. Good luck!
    Pat - Is the opening process the same for inground as above ground?

I see it is the same!!thanks
    Last edited by wpturner05; 04-13-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: oops - I see now it is for both inground and above ground.
    Thanks!!
    18ft x 36ft 24500 gal vinyl liner inground
    Salt water pool - swim pure plus
    Hayward cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually, yes. You can follow the same page. The hyperlink still has its original title, but the page itself is simply named, "Opening Your Winterized Pool". If you see something that applies to an AGP, simply ignore it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!