Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ground prep question

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground prep question

With our Intex pool we weren't as picky about the site prep as we should have been, but this time we are going to try to do it right.
    When we ordered the pool last Sunday we were told 2 to 4 weeks for delivery. Well, yesterday I get a notice that it will be her Friday so it's time to get busy.
    I've watched a few videos on YouTube and they are mostly the same, although I did see one the used a thin layer of crushed limestone under the pool. So my question to the forum is this: put the pool directly on soil (loam/clay), use a thin layer of crushed limestone or similar?
    TIA,
    Greg
    Round 18' Sharkline pool, 8600 gallons of well water. Hayward 40gpm single speed pump and DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ground prep question

I would get the base soil as level as possible using landscaping leveling tools. Then a thin layer of sand or other base material that's not jagged, also leveled and compacted is best. There are many ways to do it from very basic as I described to more elaborate methods. If you use the search box and search for "leveling pool" or similar terms, you'll get quite a few good discussions here on the site. Good luck!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Someone with more experience will be around soon, but search for 1" foam. It seems like I have seen a lot of folks using that as it is somewhat soft, will bridge small areas of settlement and footprints will not indent like they would in sand. Here is one example.

To Foam or Sand new install
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, I should have mentioned I did order a foam bottom pad with the pool as well as a foam cove.
    I'll do a search as well.
    Round 18' Sharkline pool, 8600 gallons of well water. Hayward 40gpm single speed pump and DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Good luck with the ground prep, in my signature is my intex install with allot of pictures that you might find useful. The ground prep depends on what you currently have at the pool site (Allot of rocks, sloping site etc ...) The foam pad I used on the most recent install was great. I wish I would have done it with all my intex pools, just makes a nice surface but not necessary. The leveling of the ground is the most important!!!! Take your time in leveling.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions