Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tan vs. Blue Liners - Thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tan vs. Blue Liners - Thoughts?

Hi All

I have to make a decision asap regarding IG liners and I am stuck! I cannot decide between a Tan or Blue liner. I love the water color with a tan liner but I am hesitant to choose it. I am concerned about the color of the water being consistent throughout the pool and how it will look in the more shallow sections. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tan vs. Blue Liners - Thoughts?

I would think that the shallower the section, the more tan the water would appear
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would try to go see each color in person. Perhaps you can get recommendations of pools to see from whoever is installing your liner (this said from someone who picked a plaster color, and loves it, without ever seeing it in person!).
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the same concerns when I was choosing liners...loved the water color with the tan but was nervous what it would look like on the steps. I ended up choosing one anyway since they look so beautiful. We have a sandstone one going in next week...ill post pictures as things progress. There are some pictures of them on here somewhere of others pools finished with them and they look great. Good luck with you decision.
    Starting Monday 4/18/16...18x39x30x14 L vinyl liner pool. All Hayward equipment: Tristar pump, 300K BTU heater, s310 sand filter, T-15 swg, Omnilogic. 2-12v universal color logic lights + 1-320 accent light on the steps, Latham gold pebble liner. Tf-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

There was one last summer that got the tan liner and LOVED it! The pictures were VERY pretty! I forget the PO name or I would link you to it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

We were torn between tan and black. We ended up with black and love our choice but I would not have hesitated to go with tan for a second. I think the color looks great with tan liners.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Same here but it was medium blue (pebble-tec looking vinyl) or tan.

I chose blue and happy with the choice i made....I would have liked tan but had some minor doubts.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks! Everybody who has seen or has a pool with a tan liner loves it, I have not read otherwise. Still I am hesitant.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was between a gray or tan liner. I was going for a lighter look and really thought I would love gray the best...until I saw it in person. Then we saw tan and we were sold. I'll try to post a pic.

Here's the shallow end:

Here's the deep end:

And here's the whole pool:

Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks great!! Thanks for the pics!
    18,000 Gal 36x17 IG Liner Pool - Roman end Style
    1.5 hp Pentair Super Flow Pump
    Pentair Sand Filter w/ Pentair Master Temp 400 Heater
    First time pool owner :) Filling on approx 7/8/16

11. Back To Top    #11

Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you for the kind words! Best money we ever spent. Just wish we did it sooner. ��
    Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

13. Back To Top    #13

Wouldn't tan give a more greenish tint? I'm partial to a real bluish color like surf blue. All boils down to personal preference I guess....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you ever get the kids out when it is warm?? LOL CUTE!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

The twins LOVE it. Water is 68. TOO cold for the rest of us, but their giggles make my day!!

Color changes a lot throughout the day and depending on full sun vs cloudy.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I love tan liners. It gives the water a more natural look like a clear Caribbean beach.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation