Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with CH

I had my water tested and it says my CH is 90. What do I use to raise CH?!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Northern IL

Re: HELP!! CH high

Welcome to the forum! What type of pool surface do you have? Is it vinyl or some type of plaster? Don't panic. We don't trust pool store tests. Go to Pool School (tab at top) and read about recommended testkits Pool School - Test Kits Compared and about chemistry Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: HELP!! CH high

Welcome to TFP

We would love to give you some help but we really need some good numbers, pool stores are very bad at this... check out the links in my signature below, the TF100 is a great test kit but you can also get the K-2006C
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Help with CH

Welcome to TFP! Let us know if you have any more questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

As everyone says the key to success at TFP is testing your own water with a good test kit. We have lots of folks who make adjustments to their pool based on test strips or pool store test results only to find out later that the number was wrong. Often, including with CH, the only way lower it if you raise it too high is a partial drain of the pool.

Here is where we like to start with maintaining your pool, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6
    Pacific NW

If your vinyl lined WITH a heater it likely needs to be minimum of 225 to not void the warranty (see your heater's manual)
    if no heater then technically where you are at is fine.

If plaster/gunite/concrete it should be 250-350

But do post your full test results first.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlestimothyharrell View Post
    I had my water tested and it says my CH is 90. What do I use to raise CH?!
    Short answer, and I'm not being facetious, is Calcium Increaser. It's the same stuff as Ice Melt, but I don't know how common that is in your part of Texas. You can buy CH increaser at any pool store and most anyplace that sells pool chemicals, like Walmart or Lowes.

That being said... if yours is a vinyl pool, you don't need Calcium.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!