Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to this Pool thing - eager but overwhelmed

1. Back To Top    #1

New to this Pool thing - eager but overwhelmed

Hi All

I am looking for some direction. I've been a pool-owner for about 2 weeks. Done a lot of research so far so I know what I need to do, just need some help on getting there. I also have a few peripheral qs. My test kits will be here later this week, so I'm at the mercy of my local PAP. They've tested my water twice in the last week, most recently last night, after I added 2 qts of acid Sunday morning. 2 bags of salt were added on 4/5/16. Please let me know if I'm missing anything and thanks to anyone who takes the time to look this over and gives an opinion.

I have an IG concrete pool. For some reason it's listed as 13k gallon with PAP but after some measuring, I believe it's closer to 15-19k. Depth is pretty hard to accurately measure, so that's the variance for my numbers. The water is crystal clear and has been since we first saw the house back in Feb. It gets a lot of direct sunlight most of the day even though it's caged. It has a small <600 gallon hot tub adjoined. All equipment is in really good shape (visually).

All equip is Hayward
    navigator pro - brand new
    C48L2N134B1 super pump
    star clear plus filter - cartridge size is 125
    aqua rite SWG - cell size is T9 - cell is brand new
    200k btu heater - propane (spa only)
    water restriction is 2 days per week

FC - no clue
    TC - 3.0
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 100
    CH - 250
    CYA - 70
    salt - 3500, same as the SWG reads

I know that my TA and CH are high, I just need specific instructions on lowering. The chems are blowing my mind.

The pump runs from 9am-5pm. The Navigator runs that whole time. Is this correct or should I limit this and just let the skimmer run? Skimmer valve is half closed. What kind of maintenance should I do be doing to the Nav?

Do I need to do any additional scrubbing besides walls and tiles?

Can I trust the salt reading on the SWG or the drop test, when I get it?

I turned pump off when I cleaned the pump basket, but it still gurgled until I put the lid back and turned it back on. What did I do wrong?

Is it ok to let out excess air from the cartridge when I happen to be over there?

How often should I check my chems once my kits arrive?

Please let me know if any pics are needed.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more qs soon.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to this Pool thing - eager but overwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by ashley79 View Post
    Hi All

I am looking for some direction. I've been a pool-owner for about 2 weeks. Done a lot of research so far so I know what I need to do, just need some help on getting there. I also have a few peripheral qs. My test kits will be here later this week, so I'm at the mercy of my local PAP. They've tested my water twice in the last week, most recently last night, after I added 2 qts of acid Sunday morning. 2 bags of salt were added on 4/5/16. Please let me know if I'm missing anything and thanks to anyone who takes the time to look this over and gives an opinion.

I have an IG concrete pool. For some reason it's listed as 13k gallon with PAP but after some measuring, I believe it's closer to 15-19k. Depth is pretty hard to accurately measure, so that's the variance for my numbers. The water is crystal clear and has been since we first saw the house back in Feb. It gets a lot of direct sunlight most of the day even though it's caged. It has a small <600 gallon hot tub adjoined. All equipment is in really good shape (visually).

All equip is Hayward
    navigator pro - brand new
    C48L2N134B1 super pump
    star clear plus filter - cartridge size is 125
    aqua rite SWG - cell size is T9 - cell is brand new
    200k btu heater - propane (spa only)
    water restriction is 2 days per week

FC - no clue
    TC - 3.0
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 100
    CH - 250
    CYA - 70
    salt - 3500, same as the SWG reads

I know that my TA and CH are high, I just need specific instructions on lowering. The chems are blowing my mind.
    Why? Those numbers are pretty good for someone who is working blind. TA will slowly go down as you keep pH in line. CH will slowly climb through evaporation and refilling, but it's nowhere near the point you should panic. Not even close.
    The pump runs from 9am-5pm. The Navigator runs that whole time. Is this correct or should I limit this and just let the skimmer run? Skimmer valve is half closed. What kind of maintenance should I do be doing to the Nav?
    I don't know anything about automatic cleaners. Can't help with that. The pump run time might be excessive, but if you reduce pump time, you'll have to increase SWG% Once you have a test kit in hand it will be easy to figure that out. There's an article in Pool School that explains Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Do I need to do any additional scrubbing besides walls and tiles?
    Skimmer throat.

Can I trust the salt reading on the SWG or the drop test, when I get it?
    Yes. As long as the SWG is happy, you're happy.

I turned pump off when I cleaned the pump basket, but it still gurgled until I put the lid back and turned it back on. What did I do wrong?
    Nothing. Mine does that, too. Just bleed the air out once it gets going again.

Is it ok to let out excess air from the cartridge when I happen to be over there?
    Yes. But if you're constantly getting air in the filter, you have a suction side air leak. There's an article in pool school about it.

How often should I check my chems once my kits arrive?
    FC & pH daily. The others less frequently. Again, pool school has an article titled Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Please let me know if any pics are needed.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more qs soon.
    It'll all make more sense once you have the test kit in your mitts and you start doing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP, you are doing great, you found us Richard has you going there and in a few weeks it will all come together, the test kit will help so much..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard's post was great. Welcome!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks very much for all of the info and greetings!

I think I'll wait until my kits arrive to begin experimenting with the pump run time. Is it just a game of lowering slowly, say an hour at at time, and seeing how it impacts the chems and salt? How long would it take for me to see effects of this on the chems? A few days?

I've read some more posts on the robot, and I think I'm going to dial that back considerably, perhaps once a week or so, to extend it's life.

Is it ever normal for any air to be in the cartridge? Or does any amount of air mean there's a leak? The current pressure is 20. Is that normal?

Thanks again.
    17K IG Concrete w/hot tub; Hayward: Super Pump 125, Aqua Rite SWG, Navigator Pro, 250k btu heater, Taylor K2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Ashley. I think what you'll find with your pump and run time is that it directly effects FC production. For many SWG users, the longer the pump runs, the more FC is produced. Aside from that, you want the pump to operate long enough to where you feel your pool receives adequate surface movement and skimming action to push floating debris to the skimmer. Inevitably some things will sink, but you get the idea. This page may help: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time.

Air in the filter housing? A little is not uncommon. You might open the air relief and purge that air from time to time. What we are more concerned with is the pump's strainer basket (with the clear lid). If you were to have a suction side air leak, then you may see a lot of air in that pump basket. Of course we never want the water level in that basket to drop very low or even worse go completely dry. So always watch that when you out to the equipment pad.

As for normal pressure ... at some point you'll need to clean the filter(s). When you do, you'll see the psi lower to what we call a baseline or starting point (low). From there, you watch, and when the needle increases by 25% (or if you happened to notice very slow flow from your return jets), then it's time to clean again. Make sense?

Hope that helps. Glad you found us here at TFP.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey there Ashley Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool.

This is a reference for you to know what levels to strive for: Pool School - Recommended Levels

Sometimes a pool store will tell you to be higher or lower than our recommendations. We're not selling you anything so... consider that in making your decision.

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok drop salt test arrived. Tested twice since it was my first time. Came up with 4200. Swg instant reading is at 3400. Setting is 3600. Whats happening?
    17K IG Concrete w/hot tub; Hayward: Super Pump 125, Aqua Rite SWG, Navigator Pro, 250k btu heater, Taylor K2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Salt tests are only accurate +/- about 300-400 ppm. Salt test are just used to get you in the ballpark. The only real important thing is if the SWG is happy and making chlorine and trying not to go way over on the salt level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I wouldn't worry about it at all if the SWG is producing as you expect.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain