Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No multi port valve for back washing filters

1. Back To Top    #1

No multi port valve for back washing filters

So I noticed I do not have a multi port valve to backwash and rinse etc etc.

What do people do in this case?

Thanks for any info in advance

Jp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No multi port valve for back washing filters

Quote Originally Posted by Paris69 View Post
    So I noticed I do not have a multi port valve to backwash and rinse etc etc.

What do people do in this case?

Thanks for any info in advance

Jp.
    If you have a cartridge filter, you remove the element for cleaning. Some filters use a simple push-pull backwash valve. Some (like mine) have the valve built into the base.

You need to fill out your signature so people know what kind of equipment you have.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I will fill out the eqp. list it today but here is a pic

image.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

Ooh wee! That's a maze of pipeline. You appear to have a cartridge filter set-up. Probably 4 cartridges inside. Plumbing is simply one way in (suction) and one way out (pressure back to the pool). We have no plunger or multiport vale to backwash like a sand or DE filter. So periodically, when the filter gauge increase by about 25% from its original clean psi, you remove those cartridges inside, use a pressure nozzle to clean them off, and reinstall. Easy stuff.

Now I did notice you have that one hose spigot at the top of that "T" filling above one of the pumps, but that is probably just there as an added feature for pressurized spraying or water draining, but not backwashing.

I suspect it will look something like this: Cleaning a Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter - YouTube
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!