Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walmart Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart Chemicals

I see that my local Walmart has a good stock of pool chenicals. My question is are these as good as what you get at the pool store? They do cost a lot less, but not sure how good they are.
    1. Pool size 22,000 gal.
    2. Sand
    3. IG
    4. Vinyl
    5. 1 Hp Pump 75 gal per minute
    6. Saltwater
    7. Pool Pilot Digital Chlorine Generator

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Walmart Chemicals

One item that is very popular in the pool section is the HTH stabilizer. Most of the other items are just pool-brand items sold at a higher price than stuff on the other end of the store (i.e. baking soda, washing soda, bleach, etc).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Read the labels. Check ingredients and strengths. Compare things with stuff in other areas of the store. pH Increaser is the same as Washing Soda in the laundry aisle, for instance. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I would say WalMart is as good as any to buy.

More importantly, I want to suggest to you to read and learn some more here on the forum and you may find you don't have to buy much of anything.

We are believers in accurate and precise testing (not from a pool store.....your own testing)to tell us what to add to our pools.

I always suggest to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School as a good start and then go from there.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School