Gray or white conduit to light wet niche

familytr33

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
South East USA
Hi,

Does it matter whether gray (electrical) PVC conduit or white PVC conduit is used from a junction box to a wet niche?

Also can gray and white be solvent-welded together?

Both are schedule 40, but I bought gray thinking it was for electrical, but forgetting the conduit can fill with water and wondering whether to return for white.

Also the stub from the existing wet niche is white pvc... can I weld gray to that stub?

Just hoping y'all can save me yet another trip to Lowes :)

Thanks,

ft.

PS. In case anyone is wondering I will use a 8 AWG ground/bond wire from the jb to the lug in the niche.

Generally, grey is used for electrical work. As you probably know, it is a TON cheaper than sched 40 PVC but I am not sure why. I'll bet we have some electricians/plumbers that can tell us why.

I see no reason they cannot be glued together but I have never tried it.

The grey should be used. It will have printed on the outside "UL listed." It should be at least 3/4" 1" would be better and worth going back to Lowes for an exchange.

BONDING WIRE NEVER GOES IN CONDUIT. NEVER EVER NOT EVER. The correct wiring for a pool light is shown in this thread:

Relamping - use long light cable instead of junction box

A green insulated ground wire goes from a ground to the niche, with the connection covered in putty, to the junction box.

A green insulated ground wire goes from a ground to the niche, with the connection covered in putty, to the junction box.

Ok, thanks, yes, I have that lined up... insulated 8AWG wire potted to the lug in the niche.

What I find confusing is that Mike Holt seems to refer often to "grounding (bonding)", for example:

(b) The equipment grounding (bonding) conductor can terminate at the grounding terminal of a listed pool transformer that meets the requirements of 680.23(A)(2).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.