Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: using liquid chlorine and dichlor tabs together in summer months

1. Back To Top    #1

using liquid chlorine and dichlor tabs together in summer months

Hi, I am new to the forum and would like advice on my local pool stores recommendation to use both liquid chlorine and tabs in my off line feeder together during the hot summer months here in southern California. They are telling me I will have trouble keeping up with just liquid chlorine.
    I would prefer to use the TFPC method and avoid the tabs.

Thanks ,Dave
    16x36 free form gunite, 8' deep end, raised spa attached, 18,000 Gallons, Stone Scape mini pebble, remodeled 8/10/2015, Pentair variable speed pump #011018, DE filter, Pentair Easy Touch upgrade automation w/ screen logic, Pentair 520549 Easy Touch indoor control panel, is4 spa side remote, Pentair Mini Max plus 400 heater, Hayward Navigator pool vac, IntelliBrite 5G color LED light in pool and spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: using liquid chlorine and dichlor tabs together in summer months

I'm no Los Angelean (is that the right term?) but in the summer months, I can easily meet chlorine demand by dosing with bleach/liquid chlorine once every evening. If you have your CYA at a proper level for your region, it's easy. I'd recommend at least 50 ppm CYA, probably 60 for your area and you could do the same. I usually run at 40 ppm.

Keep in mind that trichlor tabs also add CYA to your pool so they may help continually add FC throughout the day, but your CYA will also rise as a result. If your CYA is at 50 or less, you could certainly use the trichlor tabs during the hottest part of the summer, with the knowledge that your CYA will also increase. As long as you know the consequences and keep up with your testing, why not? But it's certainly false that you couldn't keep up with just liquid chlorine, with the proper CYA level, testing and dosing.
    Last edited by JVTrain; 04-12-2016 at 04:30 PM. Reason: clarification
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

The simple answer is they are dead wrong. Thousands of our members manage just fine with only bleach as their source of chlorine. If you read around the site you will see we don't put any stock in pool store "advice". They are wrong more often than they are right. We stress self-reliance and self testing. If you want to commit to the TFPC Method of pool care then you absolutely need one of the Recommended Test Kits. Test your own water, post your results and folks around here will flood you with helpful advice.

Welcome to TFP

Matt
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, you've probably been here long enough to know what we think of most pool store advice. The only reason I can think of for that is advice to be able to sell you more tabs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, my CYA is at 40, can I let rise using the tabs and then stop using them when CYA reaches 60?
    16x36 free form gunite, 8' deep end, raised spa attached, 18,000 Gallons, Stone Scape mini pebble, remodeled 8/10/2015, Pentair variable speed pump #011018, DE filter, Pentair Easy Touch upgrade automation w/ screen logic, Pentair 520549 Easy Touch indoor control panel, is4 spa side remote, Pentair Mini Max plus 400 heater, Hayward Navigator pool vac, IntelliBrite 5G color LED light in pool and spa

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Yes, but I would reserve that option as an "ace in the hole" for a vacation.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

You certainly could if you have tablets on hand. Use Pool Math to figure out how much each tab will add in CYA to your pool. The "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section at the bottom of the Pool Math page is great for that. Just make sure you put in your pool volume at the top first. Most tablets are between 6 and 8 ounces. Check the weight on yours.

Also... if they happen to be tabs that have metals in them, I wouldn't use them. These are usually branded as Blue, Extra or other fancy sounding name and if you look at the ingredients there will be copper compounds listed.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone, I am planning a vacation in June for a couple of weeks and I will use that time to let the tabs raise my CYA level. I will also check that my tabs don't have any metals