Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automation: intercepting data from Acu-Rite wireless sensors

1. Back To Top    #1

Automation: intercepting data from Acu-Rite wireless sensors

Hi! I have an AcuRite 00617 floating wireless thermometer. It works (though the floater leaks and could use some add'l sealing) but i'd like to capture the data for computer monitoring/analysis/control.

I'm able to read a signal off the 3.3V data pin on the receiver unit, but i'm having trouble decoding it. AcuRite is not interested in helping, but i'm sure we can do it.

If anyone else is interested, let's chat.
    ~15kgal IG plaster, hayward cartridge filter, old-ish pool, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automation: intercepting data from Acu-Rite wireless sensors

I've done something very similar with a very similar data stream.

The diagram for the RF-211 is just showing you that the period of the signal is constant and that the positive pulse width is what determines the value of the bit. I've seen this kind of encoding before.

Often there are unused bits in the stream, and if you can flush out the unchanging bits early on you can concentrate on figuring out the ones that do change.

Have you thought about using a variable power supply and changing it to see if you can identify the bits that carry battery status?

If you have the hardware, I've had much more success working the problem from the other direction. Now that you know the format of the data word, using a sound card or I/O card to modulate an RF source and sending test words to the receiver may let you progress faster. You can change bits and see the response (or lack thereof) on the display immediately. I wrote code to allow me to change the bits and send the data, and had much better success than trying to just figure the encoding out.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Have you thought about using a variable power supply and changing it to see if you can identify the bits that carry battery status?

If you have the hardware, I've had much more success working the problem from the other direction. Now that you know the format of the data word, using a sound card or I/O card to modulate an RF source and sending test words to the receiver may let you progress faster. You can change bits and see the response (or lack thereof) on the display immediately. I wrote code to allow me to change the bits and send the data, and had much better success than trying to just figure the encoding out.
    Great ideas! Will try!

4. Back To Top    #4

No input on your issue but I've had 3 of those over the past few years. When they work they're great but I find the lifespan to be maybe 6 months. I've seen other brands on amazon. Anyone have any comments/recommendations on other brand wireless thermometers?
    21,000 gallons
    Pentair 420 Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter - Filter Area: 420 - Design Flow: 150
    Inground Plaster
    Pentair Whisper Flo Pump - 1 HP - Model CCP420
    Pentair MiniMax NT Series Pool Heater
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator
    Polaris 280 Cleaning System

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not making progress on this, so in the meantime, i've made my own sensor. (Adafruit HUZZAH (ESP8266) + LM35 + 4xAA)

6. Back To Top    #6