Chlorination issues

Apr 12, 2016
Tomball/TX
I have a 24 foot round 4ft tall above ground pool with a vinyl liner. We just switched the filter media from ZeoBryte to sand 1 month ago and finally got the Chemicals right except the chlorine. I have added 11 pounds of powdered chlorine to the pool since Saturday not including the fact that the inline chlorinator is all the way open and working and I am still getting a chlorine reading of 0. Please help.

DDB, Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm afraid the technique you have been using (powders and in-line chlorinator) may be one of your worst enemies. Here at TFP we rely on regular liquid bleach for pure sanitation as noted in our ABCs of Water Chemistry (Pool School link below). The powders and tabs add stabilizer and allow it to get way too high for normal FC levels. In addition, if you could post a full set of results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit, we could really zero-in on some details to assist you. If you don't have either of those kits, it really should be priority #1 for you to take full control of your pool management.

Please consider the test kit and see the links below in my signature. They are all great places to start. From there, we can help answer just about any question you may have. Great to have you with us.

Your pool would appear to be about 13,500 gallons. I would remove the tabs and use no more powder at this time. Get some regular (generic) bleach from HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value), and just use that for now. Maybe add one gallon today, then 1/2 gallon each day after that until you get your kit.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The most important part of caring for your pool is a proper test kit. How are you testing your pool? I would highly recommend checking out our list of recommended test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared You cannot go wrong with either the TF-100 or K-2006 test kits. The most important test in any kit is a FAS-DPD free chlorine (FC) and combined chlorine (CC) test. This is a drop based test that allows you to accurately test your FC and CC. You also need to know your cyanuric acid level (CYA or stabilizer) to know what FC level must be maintained.

Start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to get you started on the methods we teach here.

You'll also find that here we discourage the long term use of any form of solid chlorine. All types of solid chlorine add something to your pool that you may not need and will build up over time, causing problems maintaining proper chemistry or sanitation.

Please update your forum signature with details about your pool so it's easier for the experts here to give you relevant advice. You can change it by clicking on Settings, then Edit Signature.