Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy here, want a robot.

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy here, want a robot.

Ok, I have a fiberglass pool, new install last spring. Always clean and clear, but I'm looking for a robot to scrub the walls. Made a mistake and let the guy at Leslies talk me into a Polaris 825... even though I expressed my desire for a "smart" robot (he said it was) it is not, just an aimless wanderer.. cleans parts of the pool over and over and leaves other parts untouched... its going back!

ANYWAY...

Looking for a new bot.. leaning real hard towards the Dolphin Triton Plus. Seems to have features I want and like... pool mapping, top filters,caddy, remote.. stuff like that. My pool has steps, a sun ledge, and a toe ledge all the way around.. wanting to know if this Triton Plus will do these things or not. Especially that toe ledge, its about 5" wide and if it wont climb over it it won't do the waterline.
    Not sure if any will climb that ledge but the vids I've seen show the Triton Plus doing a great job of climbing steps, if any will I'm thinking it will..

Whatcha think? suggestions??

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy here, want a robot.

Welcome to the forum!

My two favorites are the Dolphin M5, and Dolphin Oasis Z5.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

My two favorites are the Dolphin M5, and Dolphin Oasis Z5.
    And as far as I can tell the Oasis Z5 is the same unit as the Triton Plus..

You say your two favorites.. do you own these?

4. Back To Top    #4

Another vote for Dolphin.

I have the s300i and adore it.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissykr View Post
    Another vote for Dolphin.

I have the s300i and adore it.
    I saw some of your comments on another thread, do you have any steps in your pool? I have steps and ledges and am looking for something that will climb them.

6. Back To Top    #6

We just bought a triton plus last week. Seems to clean and climb well. Still getting used to it, but so far so good.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by srtate View Post
    We just bought a triton plus last week. Seems to clean and climb well. Still getting used to it, but so far so good.
    Thanks, how is it on steps?

8. Back To Top    #8

Seems to do fine on the steps. Honestly, as well as it cleans... Even if I had to do the steps myself it is well worth it. My wife keeps searching for things to dislike about this robot, so far all she has come up with is that she thinks she might like having a bag instead of the cartridges. She thinks a bag would be easier to clean than the cartridge. I disagree. The top loading cartridges are very convenient and easy to clean.

9. Back To Top    #9

How deep is the water above your toe ledge? I am not familiar with those. I saw it is 5" wide. Might be able to do an experiment for ya...
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by A.O. View Post
    I saw some of your comments on another thread, do you have any steps in your pool? I have steps and ledges and am looking for something that will climb them.
    Yes, I have three and Daisy gets up on the second step and keeps trying to master the top one.

I let her do her thing but I do brush my steps frequently.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
    How deep is the water above your toe ledge? I am not familiar with those. I saw it is 5" wide. Might be able to do an experiment for ya...
    Its a consistent 3 feet deep, it gives the ability to get out of the pool anywhere around the deeper perimeter.

12. Back To Top    #12

And as far as I can tell the Oasis Z5 is the same unit as the Triton Plus..

You say your two favorites.. do you own these?
    I have the M5, and I have two friends owning one of each.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

I have the M5, and I have two friends owning one of each.
    Well those two are the ones I'm leaning towards right now, which do you think is a better climber?

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the Triton Plus. It climbs my steps just fine except for the top step which is too shallow. It also climbs from my 10' bottom right up the almost vertical wall to the tiles and then proceeds to clean the tiles also. I love this robot and have yet to find any fault with it. Be sure to get a caddy, almost required IMHO. The robot is fairly heavy out of the water and can become quite unwieldy. The caddy also stores the robot with the tracks raised so they don't flatten out. I use the remote to park the robot on the stairs when it is done which makes it easier for me to extract from the pool since I have a bad back. I really don't like to have to pull on the power cord to fish it out of the water.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

15. Back To Top    #15

Well those two are the ones I'm leaning towards right now, which do you think is a better climber?
    Climbing is exactly as good. The M5, and M4 ( now 400 and 500 actually) have a bottom brush. In my view this makes them better. Just the M500 has a "Pro" remote with some extra features, and I like that too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

Climbing is exactly as good. The M5, and M4 ( now 400 and 500 actually) have a bottom brush. In my view this makes them better. Just the M500 has a "Pro" remote with some extra features, and I like that too.
    I was told that the bottom (center) brush on the 400 was not powered, do you know if that's the case?

17. Back To Top    #17

No I dont. I don't know why it would be there unpowered however. I'd investigate that further, and if you find out, please let us know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

No I dont. I don't know why it would be there unpowered however. I'd investigate that further, and if you find out, please let us know.
    A guy at a pool store I called told me that, I went to the Maytronics site and yes indeed it is powered. I got to thinking about it after I asked you, and I too thought it made no sense so I did the research. Main difference I saw between the 400 and 500 is the 500 has the pro remote. ,
    I'm thinking that center brush will help get the unit over my toe ledge... just when it gets over and lacking something to grab on to, the center brush will hit the ledge corner and send it the rest of the way.
    I saw a YouTube video of exactly that... if I knew how to post it here I would.

Here is a try at the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80gplZNWd0Q

It worked, if you look down into the pool you can see the ledge about half way up the wall, that's what I have.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yea, this comes up a lot regarding the brush getting the cleaner over obstacles, and I'm still neutral about it. In any event, glad you confirmed the powered brush question. I answered as diplomatically as possible, but couldn't imagine why he'd say that. Unfortunately, we see this a lot with Pool Stores etc.

Like Judge Judy says...if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true. (Quantum Physics aside.)
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

Patrick, I know you said you liked the pro remote better, care to elaborate a bit on that? The 400 comes with no remote with the basic as an option. What does the pro do different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast