Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Sample Apparatus on Extension Pole

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Sample Apparatus on Extension Pole

Does anyone know of an apparatus for catching a water sample using a pole? Knees are getting pretty bad. Thanks
    18+K gal, IG diamond brite, 60 sqft DE Filter, Pentair intelliflo VS pump
    Attached spa + Pentair Mastertemp heater 400,000 BTU
    Built 1989, re-plastered early 2000s; new equip 2015
    Operator Proficiency: 1 year BBB follower

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Water Sample Apparatus on Extension Pole

use a 1/2 inch PVC about 3 to 4 feet long and use it like a straw, dip into the pool about 2 feet, hold the top, pull out of pool and put over bowl, or whatever the water is going into and let go of the end..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought of something similar. But you would be catching sample right away from the surface on the way down.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by quincy915 View Post
    I thought of something similar. But you would be catching sample right away from the surface on the way down.
    not if you capped the top end on the way in
    the captured air would prevent water coming in till you remove your thumb
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you put your finger over the opening before putting the pipe in the water and then remove your finger when fully in, the water will be drawn from that depth.

You could also glue a low cost PVC valve to the end of the pipe. Close before inserting, open once pipe is 18" or more in water, close valve before pulling out.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I just use a 4' length of ˝" PVC as a pipette. I leave the sample cup on deck and just plunge the pipe in with my thumb capping it, let go, let it fill, cap it, and pull it out and let it drain into the cup. But that still involves some kneeling to set the cup down.

I can't find it now, but somebody rigged up a water bottle and a PVC pipe with some bungie cords and made a sampler that way.

Seems if you attach the sample bottle at an angle, you can push it under upside down so there's an air bubble trapped inside, then turn it over at the right depth and let it fill up. Then just pull it out. You can do the whole thing standing up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

4' length of 1/2" PVC is how I sample as well. Dispense it right into a 150 mL Nalgene bottle.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Personally, I just use a 4' length of ˝" PVC as a pipette. I leave the sample cup on deck and just plunge the pipe in with my thumb capping it, let go, let it fill, cap it, and pull it out and let it drain into the cup. But that still involves some kneeling to set the cup down.

I can't find it now, but somebody rigged up a water bottle and a PVC pipe with some bungie cords and made a sampler that way.

Seems if you attach the sample bottle at an angle, you can push it under upside down so there's an air bubble trapped inside, then turn it over at the right depth and let it fill up. Then just pull it out. You can do the whole thing standing up.
    Thanks. I'll try that - doesn't seem to difficult.