Ready to jump in! literally and figuratively

May 2, 2015
Macon, GA
My pool is up and, if my husband would hurry up and bring me salt and sand, I am planning on installing the pump and salt system today. I've watched the DVD 3 or 4 times, and have read the manual and dog eared all the important looking pages, which means all of them. It sounds kind of complicated, but I love a challenge, especially when its something I am so excited about. The programming seems unnecessarily complicated, but I'm confident that it will make more sense once I get to actually do it.

I've set up my signature and if anybody sees anything I should add or delete, please let me know.

I mentioned before that I've had an agp since 1998. Last year was the first year without one. I wanted a salt system and didn't want to settle for anything less when my last one gave up. I hope I have made a good choice. I plan to be in it this weekend. Yes, the water will be cold. Does not matter!! It is water, corralled into one place that I can float on!!! Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!

See...some katz do like water....prrrrrrrrrrrrr

LOL, your going to fit in around here :) pretty easy setting it all up, biggest thing don't turn on the SWG for 24 hours after adding salt... also test the salt ppm before adding, you will be surprised how much is in there already :) get to know poolmath in my sig, its to easy :)

These pools are a great value. Once you figure out how long to run your SWG daily to keep your desired FC level, just sit back and enjoy it. I check my levels a couple of times per week, and vacuum as needed. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Have a wonderful pool season, and please ask if you have any questions.

First round of questions

My newly acquired aquatically knowledgeable friends:

1) My manual and dvd aren't really clear about the order of things. For instance, before any mention of adding salt, they both go into detailed directions on setting the pump (or do I refer to the whole thing as SWG?) to run the appropriate number of hours each day, back washing, and rinse. But I think (also based on cowboycasey's comment) the salt needs to be added and dissolved for 24 hours before turning the system on at all? I looked over the helpful links ya'll have, but don't really see that addressed. Is there a link that could break this down for me in a better linear way?

2) this has been confounded since I opened the box. There are two hose outlets (both rubber booted) at the same height. The inlet hole is higher, and unbooted, as I would have expected. I have read and reread and haven't found out any information on this mysterious extra outlet. I'm sure its something that will make me go "ohhh....duh", but at this present time, I don't know what that could be.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Although curiosity killed the kat, satisfaction brought her back!!

This is from the Recommend Chemicals page:
Salt can simply be dumped into the pool. Spread it around a bit with a brush so there aren't any large piles, and leave the pump running for 24 hours after adding salt. If you have a SWG, it should be turned off while you are adding salt and for the next 24 hours.

With your set-up, maybe you can simply turn-off just the SWG portion, or set the percentage to zero?

Not sure about the 3rd hole option. Maybe for additional plumbing options. Hopefully someone else will know.

Don't sweat the directions too much. Those are just "suggestions", IMHO. I've never waited 24 hours to run my SWG after adding salt. As long as it comes on and doesn't throw the "low salt" alarm, you should be good. I usually wait 30 minutes or so, just to let it dissolve a little and get circulated around.

After we dump in our salt I let the kids play with it in the water until it is dissolved. Since your water is snow melt cold and not many would volunteer to jump in you could just use a broom to push it around ...as my husband says "stir the tea" until the salt is dissolved.

We use the cheapest salt from WalMart. As long as the bag states it is 100% salt it doesn't matter if it has the word "pool" on it or not. The last salt I bought was in chunks that after a few minutes was gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the advice! The 2 intake mystery is solved, and nothing as logical as anything ya'll suggested. My pool came with a pool maintenance kit and a skimmer type basket. One hole is for that and the other is a "regular" intake. The manual spent like 15 pages telling you how not to drown, but that puzzling 2 holes? not a bleeping word. I was holding a weird 3 way plunger thing, puzzling wth to do with it. I finally discovered in the parts explosion diagram that 1 hose went from the bottom of it, going to the pump and 2 hoses going from the pool to the plunger. and then the plunger just kinds of hangs there. Go figure

The salt question about 24 hours became a non issue because we had just finished putting the salt in, and brushing the bottom, when we had to go to work. It was the next day (today) before I got to set the swg. It's going through a boost cycle.

It is so groovy. Also, ya'll are groovy. I think I'm going to like hanging around. I've been looking at some of the pool setups ya'll have and creativity runs deep here.

[getting on soapbox]

If your Intex SWG is like most-- with the Copper Ionization "feature" then --- Do NOT use the boost function... Ever!

I know what's done is done but I strongly recommend that you not use it in the future! One thing Intex is not very clear/upfront in explaining is just what the boost function does when you use it... I mean they do say it in the manual, but it's like, one short sentence in the middle of a bunch of other info.... :brickwall:

Anyway-- what boost does is increase the COPPER ionization/output on the SWG for a length of time equal to 3 times whatever hours your SWG is set to run at normally...
  • So if you have your SWG set to run for 4 hours... When you hit "boost" it will automatically begin a cycle that will ramp up the COPPER ions generated for the next 12 hours.
  • The chlorine generation in unchanged.... Except that it is continuous for that longer time frame.
    • Intex SWGs run at 100% output anytime they are on. The way you control chlorine generation is by the amount of time it is actually on, and to a lesser degree the time of day it runs...
      • For example, in sunny AZ , where I am, I generally needed to run it for about 6-8 hours a day spanning the hottest point in the day in order to make enough chlorine to cover the other 16-18 hours...
Actually the copper ionization is happening continually with these units, unless you disconnect it... Which is as easy as unplugging the wire/connector from the electrode on top of the SWG. You should be able to see which connector goes to what, if you look at the "exploded view" of the unit in the manual.

Mine has been unplugged for over 3 years, and there is no corrosion or other issue from having it exposed all this time. The controller/electronics/computer on my unit has died, but that's because apparently the plastic they used for the keypad cover is prone to deteriorate when exposed to full sun. And the keypad doesn't hold up for long once the cover is gone. ? It's not a huge loss, because the cell was becoming less efficient and needing cleaned more and more often, so I'm thinking that I was at the end of it's expected lifespan anyway.

We bit the bullet last year and got a VS pump.... Best $$ we ever spent on this pool-- It cost almost as much as the pool but what we saved on electricity in just one summer paid for 1/2 the cost of the pump. Not to mention that the circulation in the pool, even with it set at very low speeds, has never been better!

[Stepping down]

Oh and btw-- welcome... :wave:
I totally get the whole "water corraled into one place" thing.... That's my kind of thinkin'!
I always say that I get just as wet in my pool as my neighbor gets in his... But at the end of my pool's installation I had about 20,000 more dollars to buy pool toys than he did.... :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.