Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool never overflows

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool never overflows

We live in Oklahoma and are subject to some pretty large thunderstorms and flash flood situations. We have had our 20k gunite pool for over 10 years and it has never overflowed it will raise to the very top of the tile and then stops, even if it continues to down pour it seldom (if ever) goes higher than that. Thoughts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool never overflows

You might have an overflow port tucked away somewhere. If not visible along the waterline of the tile, perhaps inside the skimmer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

so its possible that the pool was designed that way (ie to never overflow)?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, to protect the pool itself and keep water from trying to seep behind the waterline tile into any open spaces which might compromise the concrete or foundation later.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is your deck a concrete deck that acts as coping. It may be seeping under the deck or coping material and then going somewhere.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

You probably have overflow protection built in behind one or more of the skimmers?

We are currently considering if we really want this overflow or not.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Is your deck a concrete deck that acts as coping. It may be seeping under the deck or coping material and then going somewhere.
    Yes we do. After doing a google image search on skimmer overflow ports i can conclude that we do not have one. Thus i'm thinking its at the deck coping. I guess since it has never given us problems it's a non issue (at least for now :/).

8. Back To Top    #8

I do not have an overflow relief tube. In hind-sight, I wish I did. So when we have heavy rains that take my water level up & over the skimmer opening, it of course goes over my coping/grout lines at the top-edge of the pool. For a short time that's okay, but I don't want those areas submerged too long. Every once in a while, a piece of grout may fall-out leaving a gap too. So then water could potentially continue to drain behind that gap and compromise my pool's foundation.

So when we have long periods of heavy rain, I'll go out there and crank-up the filter drain valve to lower the water back a bit....just to be safe.