Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Porcelain tile

1. Back To Top    #1

Porcelain tile

Has anyone tried using porcelain tile to cover their ODK? Is this even a viable option given the potential weather conditions and stress? would hate to have cracked tiles everywhere.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcel...+40in.&start=2
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Porcelain tile

5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What's ODK?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Outdoor Kitchen.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You can certainly use tile as a finished surface on a "countertop".

A 1/4" layer of "cement board" should be used between the tile and the framing of the kitchen.

Porcelain tile is maybe the best tile to use because it is close to water proof and, installed properly, the freeze-thaw cycle will have no affect.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What do you mean by "cover"? If it's the countertop you're referring to, then yes. I used 1/2" cement board under my counter top, thinset, and then tile. If by "cover" you're talking about the sides of the base, I suppose you could do that too, but it will cost a lot more and much more labor than if you just used Dryvit to finish the base sides.

7. Back To Top    #7

Absolutely. Used often for garage floors in high end automobile service shops in the Northeast where it is subject to daily freeze-thaw cycles. If you have significant temperature swings (greater than 20 degs/day) then a crack isolation membrane is advised.