Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-DPD never going clear?

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-DPD never going clear?

First Post - thanks for all the outstanding info.

New pool owner as of last July, was paying someone way too much to do a terrible job and after learning a LOT on this and other sites decided to take it on myself. I've had a hot tub for 10+ years so I'm familiar with balancing water.

Long story short - my pool had/has several issues -

first mustard algae. Growing so much on the steps it was like velvet, could only scrape off with your fingernails. coating the entire vinyl liner.

second - staining - I have a TON of leaves. It's a struggle just to keep up when they are really coming down which seems to be almost always

My water is mostly balanced:

PH - 7.6
    TA - 70
    CH - 60
    CYA - 48
    Salt - 3100

Problem is when I run the DPD test it never turns clear/not pink. Being my first time running that test (Taylor Kit), I thought I must have just over shocked, but I've tried 4 times and have completely used up the reagent. I tried adding extra powder too, no difference.

I've turned of the SWG but I'm worried about my liner. I'd assume given the amount of algae there may be very high CC, would that throw off the test that much?

Needless to say I need more reagent but I thought I'd ask here in case there is something else I'm missing.

For the leaves, is there anything special I need to check or do given a very high volume of leaves?

Thanks in advance for all the help -

Ed
    28,000 vinyl with sand filter and auqarite SWG 1.1hp pump polaris booster

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: FAS-DPD never going clear?

Welcome to the forum.
    Problem is when I run the DPD test it never turns clear/not pink.
    Are you saying the solution does not turn pink when you add the powder?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ezil71 View Post
    second - staining - I have a TON of leaves. It's a struggle just to keep up when they are really coming down which seems to be almost always
    I couldn't keep up with leaves, no matter how much I cleaned my filter, the floor system wasn't running, etc.

Turns out, it was my "replacement filter" a third party one, was causing low water flow. Once I swapped it out for a genuine hayward, much better pressure.

I also have a mechanical timer and bought a few extra on/off switches. I decided to take my 8 hours/day and split it into 3 times/day for running. This kept the water moving more and let the skimmer get more leaves.

But low physical flow makes it harder to keep up with the leaves.
    Pool, 11000 Gallon Gunite Pool, shallow ( < 5' deep ) including spa. Hayward 1750 Cartridge Filter. Pump is a single speed 2 HP Hayward Northstar. Polaris Caretaker 5 Zone Floor System. Pool ~ 8 years old. TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to be sure... you aren't trying to test the FC with the wrong reagent, are you? You wouldn't be the first person to grab the wrong bottle. I remember getting worried when my CH test was taking massive quantities of reagent and not turning. Using the TA reagent to check CH doesn't work, I discovered.

The FAS-DPD test uses R-0870 powder and R-0871 reagent to test FC, then you add the R-003 to check for CC, and R-0871 to titrate that. If you go straight to the R-003, it'll never change.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

From the sound of it you added the granules and it turned pink, then it never went clear.. A couple questions:

Are you using the 10ml sample size and multiplying by .5 ? if you are using 25ml it is using much more than needed.

CYA, you say 48, there is no 48 on the tube, does the dot disappear at 40, 50 or 60?

you only need to add enough powder to turn pink (1 to 2 scoops)

how many drops did you stop counting and started over? That will let us know how high you fc is above but will not let us know exactly where you are at, once you get more reagent we can find out..

Hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ezil71 View Post

New pool owner as of last July, was paying someone way too much to do a terrible job and after learning a LOT on this and other sites decided to take it on myself. I've had a hot tub for 10+ years so I'm familiar with balancing water.

Long story short - my pool had/has several issues -

first mustard algae. Growing so much on the steps it was like velvet, could only scrape off with your fingernails. coating the entire vinyl liner.

My water is mostly balanced:

PH - 7.6
    TA - 70
    CH - 60
    CYA - 48
    Salt - 3100

Problem is when I run the DPD test it never turns clear/not pink. Being my first time running that test (Taylor Kit), I thought I must have just over shocked, but I've tried 4 times and have completely used up the reagent. I tried adding extra powder too, no difference.

I've turned of the SWG but I'm worried about my liner. I'd assume given the amount of algae there may be very high CC, would that throw off the test that much?

Needless to say I need more reagent but I thought I'd ask here in case there is something else I'm missing.

For the leaves, is there anything special I need to check or do given a very high volume of leaves?

Thanks in advance for all the help -

Ed
    A basic question that lots and lots of people have done, are you using the R-0871? Lots or folks have accidentally used the R-0003.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you using the TF-100 or K-2006? If the K-2006 check the lot number of your R-0871, is it from lot "B1067 Exp 05/17"?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey y'all look another T-town person!!! Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Are you using the TF-100 or K-2006? If the K-2006 check the lot number of your R-0871, is it from lot "B1067 Exp 05/17"?
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is VERY important to check! Don't waste any time checking this out and letting us know.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Another idea: if you have the basic Taylor K-1000 OTO test (that you use to test your pH with....the block thingie)?? If you can test your chlorine with that also (adding the 5 drops of yellow reagent) what color does it show you? When chlorine is phenomenally high it goes deep orange, to brown even.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter

10. Back To Top    #10

I suspect the OP is not mixing sufficiently - if at all - between each drop of R-0871. Don't ask me how I know this, but I now have a Speedstir.
    20' x 40' 30,000 gallon IG Plaster with Spa, wading pool, fountain built 1993
    Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo / 2HP fountain pump / 2 HP spa jet punp / Jandy Ji8000 controller with IntelliComm II interface to IntelliFlo
    Crystal Water Aqua Clean 60 Sq ft DE filter / FlowVis Flow / Stenner DIY Chlorinator / The Poolcleaner 4-wheel / Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post

Bingo - we have a winner.

Yep, that is the lot number I have. I assume I can just contact Taylor to get a replacement?

I though I was going crazy, it's been a while since my chemistry lab days but I knew I wasn't using the wrong bottle and was mixing it well!

Thanks!
    28,000 vinyl with sand filter and auqarite SWG 1.1hp pump polaris booster

12. Back To Top    #12

Yep, give Taylor a call. The same problem came up in this thread: Taylor k-2006 - Problem Testing Chlorine - Page 2

Guess they are aware of the problem and I have seen a couple similar situations come across the board as well, looks like a bad batch got through. Give Taylor a call and they should send you a replacement one. Glad you aren't going crazy
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

Sure would be nice is Taylor would publicize things like this instead of us having to guess and figure it out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!