Fiberglass pool ready for deck. Pavers???

Jul 22, 2008
I put my fiberglass pool in last August. I am in North Jersey. I let the ground settle for about 8 months with the intention of doing concrete around the pool. I actually bought the Vastec coping so I could pour my deck right to the edge of the pool. Now I am torn between doing pavers or concrete. Price aside, what I really need to know is.....is it safe to use the pavers? I have read on a few sites about "locking" the pool in with atleast 3 feet of concrete. Will my pool really have a better chance of popping if I use pavers? The guy who put the pool in said to use whatever decking I wanted. Just looking for some opinions on this. Any thoughts, advice, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Can't help you much with whether or not your pool will pop, but I can tell you I just ripped out a previous paver deck that the last homeowner put in in favour of poured concrete.

The pavers were a bit of a pain to be honest. The sand would always get all over your feet, had problems with weeds, and ants, plus they were pretty uneven. Granted, half of these problems were because they werent put in right, but the sand thing really bugged me, hated having to worry about dirty feet after being in the pool. With the concrete deck, can walk out of the pool, dry off, and right into the house no problem now.

Just my experience.

yrreb13 said:
Will my pool really have a better chance of popping if I use pavers?

While technically true, this is not a significant issue. If you get that close to having the pool pop out of the ground you are in trouble regardless.

Pavers can be wonderful if done properly. Doing pavers properly tends to be a lot of work. The end result with high end pavers can be truly amazing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.