HELP!! - CAN'T GET NEW INTELLIFLO VF TO PRIME

vinnie

Mar 12, 2009
I just finished installing all my new equipment, Intelliflo Vf, Quad DE 100, Pool Pilot digital and all new 2" piping.

I did all the plumbing first, then the electric. Then I took off the cover and removed the bolts (2 returns, 1 in each of 2 skimmers, 2 for booster pump.

Turned on power and intelliflo lit right up. Took of the cover and attempted to fill basket with water. It only fills up to bottom of where the piping comes in, then put the cover back on. I clicked on manual mode and set GPM to the first setting that came up which I believe was 50gpm.

Hit the start button and the pump kicks in, pulls just about all the water out of the basket but will not suck in any water. I let it run for a few minutes but nothing. I tried it with the relief valve on the filter open and closed, but that didn't make a difference. I checked make sure my Jandy valves were open as well.

What am I doing wrong?????

I have to close my skimmer and main drain valves when I fill the strainer basket to the top and replace the lid. When you start the pump, immediately at the same time open your skimmer and drain valves quickly and it should prime up.

You basically have to prime not only the pump basket, but as much of the incoming plumbing as possible. I actually installed an extra little hose bib on the opposite end of my plumbing intake side so I can attach a garden hose and prime the system without taking the strainer lid off. You can use a washing machine hose as a double ended adaptor to make this work. It works good. I close the intake valves and fill the entire system, filter and all. I just have to burp the lid to get the air out. Then time the start up and valve open at the same time. No problems...

Let us know how it goes.

Jim

I'm going to give it another try after work today. I don't have a main drain and I have two intakes so I can't turn them both off. I"ll give a try turning one off and seeing what that does.

Am I ok to let the pump continue to try as long as there is a little of water in the basket? Or is that going to hurt the pump?

Also should I be opening the relief valve on the filter or keeping it closed until it primes?

Lastly, should I be trying to get it to prime just by using the manual mode? And if so, what speed or GPM should I be trying?

Prime the pump at full speed.

Sometimes it helps to have the air bleed open, but it's probably not necessary.

If the pump isn't primed after a minute or two, turn it off, refill the strainer, and try again. The fresh water will dissipate any heat at the pump seal which would be the first thing to go bad.

VF is a self-priming pum- to a point. W/o the specifics of your layour (height difference, etc) it's hard to say. Mine loses prime once a week or so and re-primes itself automatically. I don't know what setting you have it in or if it is different with and w/o a controller... When mine primes it speeds itself up to max automatically and then slows back down after it senses water flow. Sometimes (e.g. when the solar is on) it will not prime. I don't blame it and I would never do this on purpose.

I never thought about using the hose bib near the pump to fill the basket.... duh.... ( I did wonder what it was there for) thanks for the tip!

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.