Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Curiosity about the K-1766 Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Curiosity about the K-1766 Test Kit

I'm curious if someone who knows the chemistry of this kit can explain (in laymen's terms) why adding the Silver Nitrate to the indicator solution and salt water makes such a mess? It's interesting to see the sticky white mess it creates. Cleaning the test vial usually requires a bottle brush, where all the other tests take more or less a quick rinse.
    11k IG Plaster, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, 2005 Triton TR-100 Sand filter, by Shasta Pools - probably built ~1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Curiosity about the K-1766 Test Kit

The two chemicals added are potassium chromate and silver nitrate. The silver reacts with the chloride to produce the insoluble white silver chloride. Once all of the chloride has been precipitated out, the silver begins to react with the chromate to form silver chromate, which is sort of a brick red.

The precipitation tests, such as salt titration or cyanuric acid are usually the messiest because of the insoluble solids that precipitate out.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Curiosity about the K-1766 Test Kit

I don't know beans about the chemistry of this test, but I never end up with a sticky mess. The vial rinses clean easily. What could be so different in our pools and tests?
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter