filter losing pressure

Apr 11, 2016
Richland, WA
Hi - We just bought a home with an in-ground pool in the fall and I am starting up the pool equipment for the spring. I do not have any experience with pool equipment. The previous owner left me with some notes but I think something is wrong.

The filter is a Hayward sand filter - 30". The model is 711 which I think is older. Much of the labeling is coming off.
The pump is a Hayward 1 1/2 HP
There is also an auxiliary pump use to run a little pool cleaning robot

The pump starts up fine and the skimmer sucks in water pretty well when it first starts. Water is moving through the system. I can see it in the pump and can see/feel it coming out the return. Within a few minutes the pressure reduces. it does not completely stop but the pressure is no longer enough to pull in the water effectively and clean the pool.

I think the pressure gauge is broken as it does not move at all when turned on/off. And it has a tiny water leak.
The glass sight at the top is empty (should it have water in it when set to "filter" or only backwash?)

I have lubed the o-ring with a silicon lubricant.
The skimmer basket and filter basket are clean
I used a wire to see if any gunk was on the pump impeller.

I went through these applicable low pressure checks

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am not sure if this is something I can fix myself, if I need to call a pro to fix it or if I'm looking at replacing the pump or filter?

thanks!

Re: filter loosing pressure

Welcome to TFP, we can get you going :)

You need a new pressure gauge, that is what tells you what is going on with your system, without it is like driving on the interstate with a blindfold. We have a great one on tftestkits but leslies pool has them also, you want one that has 30 to 60 psi on the face.

The next thing you will need is a great test kit, same blindfold again :) do you have a swamp going or is the pool clear? if it is a swamp I recommend you get the TF100 and the xl option, the speed stir is also worth its weight in gold.. click the link in my sig for the tf100

on to your filter, you probably need to do a deep clean Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

All this is something you can do, if you can put some pictures up and water test results once you have a good test kit we can help get you going....

Hope this helps :)

Good to know about the silt. I attempted a deep clean as suggested. As mentioned I do not know the history of the pool equipment but I think it is all older (based on both visual appearance and the model numbers are no longer listed on the Hayward web site). I do not know if a deep clean has ever been done. I had to cut the plumbing to get the valve off the sand container. There were no unions. I will put unions in!
I followed the referenced video and after close to an hour the water was not looking any better than when I started. Given I don't know the history, I am thinking I should just change the sand and start fresh - does this sound reasonable?

thanks

does this sound reasonable?
Maybe, but don't be quite so quick to change the sand. When you "attempted" the deep clean, what makes you think it didn't work. Were you able to get reasonably clean water flowing up out of the filter?

For the most part, sand almost never needs replacing, just a good deep cleaning to break-up the junk that's been stuck in the sand for a while. Your main symptom (decreasing pressure) really sound like the filter may still be overwhelmed (i.e. organic material), and that could be a chemistry issue. It's at this point, as Casey mentioned above, that the proper test kit is so important. Knowing exactly what your chemical readings are will help to move us down a more accurate path to diagnose and help resolve your problem. We try as much as possible to avoid having pool owners do more work (or spend more) than they need to. Still, if you chose to change the sand based on the unknown maintenance history of the previous owner, just make sure you get sand made for pool filters. Look for #20 silica sand. But we can't emphasize enough the importance of the right test kit.

It took me WELL over 3 hours to clean mine after 5 years. You risk damaging the laterals by replacing the sand. I assure you the sand isn't worn out. It's just NASTY!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Also where is your water level on your skimmer? Make sure it is half way up the skimmer. Any lower and it will draw air and you will lose pressure. That's always the first thing I check. It's the easiest and most forgotten.

lost of great feedback - thanks. In response to Dave S and why I thought the deep clean wasn't working - the video seemed to suggest (at least how I understood it) that the deep clean could take up to 15 minutes, so an hour began to seem like an awful long time. With water going everywhere (next to the house), not knowing the history of the unit and seemingly making little progress I began to think changing the sand might be a lot easier. Is this not true?

I will pick up a test kit today

Skimmer water level is good.

thanks!

Good to know. I'll stick with the sand I have. I did additional cleaning then did a backwash and rinse. The flow to the skimmer has dramatically improved. I replaced the pressure gauge and I'm running right around 14 psi.

do you recommend sand cleaners or degreasers? someone called it "shampoo for my filter sand"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.