Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anchors Rising from New Safety Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Anchors Rising from New Safety Cover

Hi all,

I had a safety cover installed on my new pool's paver patio this past September. I was inspecting it today, as we're removing the cover soon, and I found that 5 of the brass anchors are rising up from the pavers. Is this normal for a new cover? Or is this indicative of a poor install?

If it's likely a poor install, do you think I actually have a chance to get the company to fix the issue? If yes, what would fixing it entail? Would they have to replace the pavers that were drilled into and redrill the holes? (I was thinking that maybe they drilled them too wide) Or should it be as simple as them hammering the anchor back down and just making that particular strap loser? (if maybe this just happened from them having the cover too tight)

No worries if there's not a clear answer on this - just figured I'd ask in case anyone had experience with this type of problem, or to at least find out if this is a common issue with this type of cover and if I shouldn't expect much to be done to fix the issue.

Here are a couple of pics to show you all what I mean:

Thanks!
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Anchors Rising from New Safety Cover

I'd guess they probably drilled them to spec, but in your application with the cover angled up to a raised spa or bond beam, there is sufficient force that they are migrating up.

Definitely give them a call and let them know. Any installer worth his salt would have a solution for that. Could be as simple as pulling the anchor out, wrapping it with something and tapping it back down in.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, most of the ones that are rising are the ones by my raised spa. However, a couple are not, like this one:

I'll point it out to the installer and hopefully he'll do the right thing and fix them.

Thanks.
    In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know if it will be the same with pavers, but I had three come out of my concrete deck last year. I bought a tube of concrete epoxy from Lowes and glued them back in. That stuff is like jb weld in a caulk tube. I'd bet they use something like that.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    I don't know if it will be the same with pavers, but I had three come out of my concrete deck last year. I bought a tube of concrete epoxy from Lowes and glued them back in. That stuff is like jb weld in a caulk tube. I'd bet they use something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that info! If they don't fix it right I'll try that out.

6. Back To Top    #6

A couple of points here. First I think that your application is the problem. Your straps along with the freeze thaw cycle is raising these. Have you tried knocking them back in with a rubber mallet?
    Second I'd think long and hard before epoxying in these in. Once that is done they are in and unless you have extra pavers could be something you will regret if one of the tops snaps off.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    A couple of points here. First I think that your application is the problem. Your straps along with the freeze thaw cycle is raising these. Have you tried knocking them back in with a rubber mallet?
    Second I'd think long and hard before epoxying in these in. Once that is done they are in and unless you have extra pavers could be something you will regret if one of the tops snaps off.

No, I didn't try knocking them back in. I have a feeling they will go right back down if I do so. I just wasn't sure if that's a good solution, as I was thinking that they would probably just rise back up next season (or possibly pop out next time). Is it typical to have to deal with the anchors rising every now and then?

Good point about the snap off potential.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't own one. So let's see if someone who does responds. I'd call the installer and ask them.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall