Getting DE out of the pool

rgswff

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2015
Austin/TX
I recently took apart my DE filter to clean the grids. I checked and there were no holes in the grids and no crack in the manifold. I put it all back together after cleaning it. I turned it on, bled the air out and then slowly poured in the DE slurry mix into a skimmer. I then noticed about an hour later the pool water was very hazy and then later that night after the pump was turned off, I could see a lot of DE settled all over the bottom of the pool. I took the filter apart again to check the grids one more time to make sure I didn't miss any tiny holes. I verified and the wife verified that there were no holes that either of us could see. When I pulled the filter apart the second time, I also checked to make sure there was no hole in the air screen or crack in the stand pipe. I lubed the filter o-ring and the stand pipe o-ring. I even took the multi-port valve apart to make sure the spider gasket wasn't broken. I put the filter back together, added in more DE again and I don't see any DE coming out of any of the returns now but there is still a ton of DE on the bottom of the pool. I've been brushing it to get it mixed up with the water to hopefully be pulled into the filter through the main drains or the two skimmers. When I pulled the filter apart the second time, I also checked to make sure there was no hole in the air screen or crack in the stand pipe. I lubed the filter o-ring and the stand pipe o-ring.

Will brushing eventually get the DE out of the pool or do I have to vacuum it up? I'll check again in about an hour now that the pump is off again to see if the same amount or god forbid more DE is settled on the bottom of the pool. Is there anything else I should check that would be the culprit for DE getting into the pool?

I'm thinking I will probably just starting using it to clean the pool instead of the polaris anyway though. I don't think the polaris does a great job and just saving up to get a robot anyway. I figure with the savings from not running the booster pump for an hour or two every day, it won't take that long to cover the cost of a decent robot. Next purchase after that is to get a 2-speed pump and then eventually a SWG. Just wish I had found this site before having the pool built, not right after. Could have made so many better decisions about the equipment but at least I did eventually find it and stayed away from the pucks!

I'm thinking I will probably just starting using it to clean the pool instead of the polaris anyway though. I don't think the polaris does a great job and just saving up to get a robot anyway. I figure with the savings from not running the booster pump for an hour or two every day, it won't take that long to cover the cost of a decent robot. Next purchase after that is to get a 2-speed pump and then eventually a SWG. Just wish I had found this site before having the pool built, not right after. Could have made so many better decisions about the equipment but at least I did eventually find it and stayed away from the pucks!
my Polaris 945 Leslie's edition can handle DE and any suction side vacuum can handle it. otherwise manual vacuuming is the only option

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.