Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting DE out of the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting DE out of the pool

I recently took apart my DE filter to clean the grids. I checked and there were no holes in the grids and no crack in the manifold. I put it all back together after cleaning it. I turned it on, bled the air out and then slowly poured in the DE slurry mix into a skimmer. I then noticed about an hour later the pool water was very hazy and then later that night after the pump was turned off, I could see a lot of DE settled all over the bottom of the pool. I took the filter apart again to check the grids one more time to make sure I didn't miss any tiny holes. I verified and the wife verified that there were no holes that either of us could see. When I pulled the filter apart the second time, I also checked to make sure there was no hole in the air screen or crack in the stand pipe. I lubed the filter o-ring and the stand pipe o-ring. I even took the multi-port valve apart to make sure the spider gasket wasn't broken. I put the filter back together, added in more DE again and I don't see any DE coming out of any of the returns now but there is still a ton of DE on the bottom of the pool. I've been brushing it to get it mixed up with the water to hopefully be pulled into the filter through the main drains or the two skimmers. When I pulled the filter apart the second time, I also checked to make sure there was no hole in the air screen or crack in the stand pipe. I lubed the filter o-ring and the stand pipe o-ring.

Will brushing eventually get the DE out of the pool or do I have to vacuum it up? I'll check again in about an hour now that the pump is off again to see if the same amount or god forbid more DE is settled on the bottom of the pool. Is there anything else I should check that would be the culprit for DE getting into the pool?
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting DE out of the pool

Vacuum.

All the brush will do is make the pool look cloudy again.

Sneak up on the DE and let the suction pull the DE in ahead of the vacuum head.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I'll have to go pick up a vacuum I guess. Only have a polaris right now to clean the pool.
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rgswff View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to go pick up a vacuum I guess. Only have a polaris right now to clean the pool.
    Can't borrow one from a neighbor for an hour?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm thinking I will probably just starting using it to clean the pool instead of the polaris anyway though. I don't think the polaris does a great job and just saving up to get a robot anyway. I figure with the savings from not running the booster pump for an hour or two every day, it won't take that long to cover the cost of a decent robot. Next purchase after that is to get a 2-speed pump and then eventually a SWG. Just wish I had found this site before having the pool built, not right after. Could have made so many better decisions about the equipment but at least I did eventually find it and stayed away from the pucks!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm thinking I will probably just starting using it to clean the pool instead of the polaris anyway though. I don't think the polaris does a great job and just saving up to get a robot anyway. I figure with the savings from not running the booster pump for an hour or two every day, it won't take that long to cover the cost of a decent robot. Next purchase after that is to get a 2-speed pump and then eventually a SWG. Just wish I had found this site before having the pool built, not right after. Could have made so many better decisions about the equipment but at least I did eventually find it and stayed away from the pucks!
    my Polaris 945 Leslie's edition can handle DE and any suction side vacuum can handle it. otherwise manual vacuuming is the only option
    20yr old,14k,IG,Plaster,Hayward Pro-Grid 60sqft, Hayward DE Separation tank, Hayward Multi-port Valve, Whisper-flo single speed 1.5hp pump,Hayward XL concrete pool suction vacuum, Polaris P340 (Leslies Pool model), Still working to get a test kit, Leslies Power Powder and Leslies 3" Tabs.

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine is a pressure side cleaner and it won't pick up the DE. It just stirs it up so will have to go with manual vacuuming I guess.

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine is a pressure side cleaner and it won't pick up the DE. It just stirs it up so will have to go with manual vacuuming I guess.
    I also had a pressure side cleaner when i first got the pool. I have re-plumed it to the suction side to run a hayward vacuum. its working great. I only use my robot now for its wall and floor scrubbing feature.
    20yr old,14k,IG,Plaster,Hayward Pro-Grid 60sqft, Hayward DE Separation tank, Hayward Multi-port Valve, Whisper-flo single speed 1.5hp pump,Hayward XL concrete pool suction vacuum, Polaris P340 (Leslies Pool model), Still working to get a test kit, Leslies Power Powder and Leslies 3" Tabs.

9. Back To Top    #9

Haha! Same boat as me! I used my Dolphin robot to clean it, takes time, and you need to run it almost daily. But gets the job done! Probably, 30-40 runs i would say. I ordered a new grid today. But my pool now, is clear white. More work for the robot!
    Purex Titron FNS DE Filter 25000 gallons approx.
    Century A.O. Smith B855 56Y 2HP Motor. 40x25 (approx). Plaster surface.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

30-40 runs?

I don't think I'd put that much duty on my Robot.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    30-40 runs?

I don't think I'd put that much duty on my Robot.
    Well it happened during winter. So I wasn't bothered to get it out immediately. Over the course of two months it was clean again.
    Purex Titron FNS DE Filter 25000 gallons approx.
    Century A.O. Smith B855 56Y 2HP Motor. 40x25 (approx). Plaster surface.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.