Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do these numbers look good? First time testing....

1. Back To Top    #1

Do these numbers look good? First time testing....

First pool and first time testing with my new Taylor kit. My setup is a 15k gallon in ground (plaster) saltwater gunite pool. Any recommendations for the following results?

Salt: 1500 (I've added 5 bags so far to bring it back up to 3500, most current reading as of yesterday is 2350)
    pH: 7.6
    Chl: 3-6
    Alk: 60
    CYA: 40-50
    CH: 170

Thanks!
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Do these numbers look good? First time testing....

Welcome, lets give this a look..

Ph good
    CL/FC 3-6 not sure how to read this. is it a 3 or is it a 6? with a SWG your FC should be almost the same everyday.. maybe fluctuate 1
    ALK good
    CYA A little low for a SWG pool recommend you take it to 70
    CH good

I would recommend you take the CYA up to 70 and keep you FC always above 3 and target 5
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thinking maybe it's a "3-6" because that's what it says on the K-1000 color comparator block? 3 meaning for Total Chlorine, 6 for the Total Bromine, which is irrelevant in a chlorine pool?

CajunGuy, what specific model/part number of Taylor test kit did you purchase? If it has a FAS-DPD test for free and combined chlorine (FC and CC), perform that test and report those results rather than the color match block. The FAS-DPD test uses a powder reagent in the water sample, then a dropper to turn the solution clear as the endpoint.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey there CajunGuy I would suggest that you raise that calcium hardness up to about 350ppm so you don't risk leeching calcium out of your pretty gunnite pool.

Check this link out for references: Pool School - Recommended Levels
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

It was actually the Taylor 2005, not 2006. The chlorine color matched square said 3-6 on it for the chlorine, not sure if the 2006 is different. I have a 2006 coming in this week, so I'll run another full set of tests and report back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Hey there CajunGuy I would suggest that you raise that calcium hardness up to about 350ppm so you don't risk leeching calcium out of your pretty gunnite pool.
    I thought I remember reading something like if you have a spa you want the calcium hardness to be around 100-150?

6. Back To Top    #6

You will love the FAS-DPD test that come with the 6!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuy View Post

I thought I remember reading something like if you have a spa you want the calcium hardness to be around 100-150?
    Your spa and pool are "one" in chemistry, plumbing and mechanics, unlike my stand alone hot tub and separate fiberglass pool. Your plaster *needs* calcium, and it won't hurt your spa especially as most are also plaster when they're built together like that. Please advise us if I'm mistaken about your set up? Pictures would be nice too
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Your spa and pool are "one" in chemistry, plumbing and mechanics, unlike my stand alone hot tub and separate fiberglass pool. Your plaster *needs* calcium, and it won't hurt your spa especially as most are also plaster when they're built together like that. Please advise us if I'm mistaken about your set up? Pictures would be nice too
    Ok I was just a bit worried about raising it since there is already some calcium buildup on the tiles around the overflow of the spa and watefalls, but I'm not sure the previous owners ever even tried to get it off. It's not abundant but it is visible. Just thought that if I raise the calcium even more it may accelerate the builup? I'll try to get some pics soon.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

To avoid that calcium build up you need to manage your CSI score. We had some build up on the tile line a few years ago, made a few tweaks to PH and TA and it has been gone ever since. Poolmath will give you a CSI score after you enter all your test results and water temp. Use the target numbers to change PH and TA to see how it impacts your CSI. Keep the CSI slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.2. It will also reduce or eliminate calcium build up in your SWG.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

and here
    Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

a pic would be good. Sometimes people who have white stuff on their cement don't know if they're dealing with calcium or efflorescence.