Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Question

Question that I've wondered about, but never asked. I have two holes in the bottom of my skimmers, one pulls suction and the other does nothing but collect trash and leaves which I periodically try to dig out. What's the other hole for?
    30,000 gal In-Ground Gunite, Diamond Brite Blue Quartz Aggregate, Jandy Pro Series 2.7 HP Variable Speed Pump, Purex Triton Nautilus FNS 60 DE Filter, Sta-Rite Max E-Therm 400 Heater, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Polaris QT Blower, Pentair Ranbow Model 320 Chlorinator, Pentair SM-20-2 125 GPM Spider Valve, Jandy RS8 Circuit Board with Aqualink PDA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Question

Typically the second line would go to a main drain if there was one. Many times builders only want to stock one kind of skimmer, so they stock the two line skimmer (for any situation) and simply plug the second line when there isn't a main drain or when the main drain is plumbed separately. There are a couple other scenarios (a balance line or reserve suction line), but those aren't seen quite as often.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Look down below the skimmer and see if there's a mystery hole in the wall. If there is, it's a safety in case the skimmer basket gets clogged. Or it could go to the main drain. Easy way to find out, assuming the water is clear: stick a garden hose down the non-suction hole in the skimmer and have someone turn it on while you watch the main drain. If you see debris coming up out of the main drain, that's where it goes. Then you just need a diverter valve.

How it works:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ahh I think you're right. The main drain and each of the two skimmers are plumbed separately.

- - - Updated - - -

No mystery hole in the wall, but I'll run a hose down the non-suction hole and check it out.
    30,000 gal In-Ground Gunite, Diamond Brite Blue Quartz Aggregate, Jandy Pro Series 2.7 HP Variable Speed Pump, Purex Triton Nautilus FNS 60 DE Filter, Sta-Rite Max E-Therm 400 Heater, Polaris PB4-60 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Polaris QT Blower, Pentair Ranbow Model 320 Chlorinator, Pentair SM-20-2 125 GPM Spider Valve, Jandy RS8 Circuit Board with Aqualink PDA