Help! Vaccume hoes stuck in skimmer hole... Won't budge.

yellow12

Silver Supporter
Oct 15, 2015
Vail, AZ
Hi everyone,
Well we installed the pool 2 weeks ago and I have been brushing every day, but I vacuumed for the first time just now using a brush head kind so not to mar the plaster and there was not enough suction so I turned part of the main drain lever closed. I got enough suction without collapsing the hoes line one bit, but now even with the system off (no suction) I can't get the hoes out. It is stuck! I see the white plastic ring edge below the entrance. I feel like an idiot. It was the 1.5 size which worked well for the pole side fitting onto the sucker head and didn't seem to be too small for the skimmer hole. I don't know what to do.:confused: If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks, wendy My heart was so glad to get the dirt accumulation out after a storm yesterday and now I feel faint. :pale: My recent under construction thread is "Dog's pool has begun!!"

Twist and pull.

Worst case, you have to cut the hose, grip the edge with pliers, and twist to cause the hose to collapse inside the pipe and yank it out. The see if you can't find a hose repair kit at the pool store.

In the future, use something like this, like I do. The hose collar fits snug inside the threads and the outside diameter is too big to get past the first lip in the skimmer hole.
025528137960lg.jpg

OMG. I got it out! Oh well... on the hoes condition.lol Thanks Richard320. Your solution seems much safer for the future! Is the skimmer hole a true 1.5" pipe? Is the one and a half inch the size I should get for the fitting that you have displayed?
I swear everything I touched today was breaking. My garbage disposal, the carpet cleaner, and then the pool... I almost wanted to go into a fetal position and do nothing the rest of the day.

Richard, putting the vacuum hose line directly in the hole risks clumps of <fill in the blank> to clog the lines....doesn't it?

When I used to vacuum thru the skimmer port it was always using a skimmer plate over the basket. So the schmutz only went into the skimmer sock, not along to the pump and filter.

Discuss ;)

Richard, putting the vacuum hose line directly in the hole risks clumps of <fill in the blank> to clog the lines....doesn't it?

When I used to vacuum thru the skimmer port it was always using a skimmer plate over the basket. So the schmutz only went into the skimmer sock, not along to the pump and filter.

Discuss ;)
Yes, it does. But I don't have a lot of <fill in the blank> in my pool to clog the lines.

Hi everyone,
Well we installed the pool 2 weeks ago and I have been brushing every day, but I vacuumed for the first time just now using a brush head kind so not to mar the plaster and there was not enough suction so I turned part of the main drain lever closed. I got enough suction without collapsing the hoes line one bit, but now even with the system off (no suction) I can't get the hoes out. It is stuck! I see the white plastic ring edge below the entrance. I feel like an idiot. It was the 1.5 size which worked well for the pole side fitting onto the sucker head and didn't seem to be too small for the skimmer hole. I don't know what to do.:confused: If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks, wendy My heart was so glad to get the dirt accumulation out after a storm yesterday and now I feel faint. :pale: My recent under construction thread is "Dog's pool has begun!!"
get something that fits over top of your skimmer basket, that why you protect your equipment. I just purchased the SkimDoctor 2.0 with the vacuum attachment and it should work well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.