Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Vaccume hoes stuck in skimmer hole... Won't budge.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Vaccume hoes stuck in skimmer hole... Won't budge.

Hi everyone,
    Well we installed the pool 2 weeks ago and I have been brushing every day, but I vacuumed for the first time just now using a brush head kind so not to mar the plaster and there was not enough suction so I turned part of the main drain lever closed. I got enough suction without collapsing the hoes line one bit, but now even with the system off (no suction) I can't get the hoes out. It is stuck! I see the white plastic ring edge below the entrance. I feel like an idiot. It was the 1.5 size which worked well for the pole side fitting onto the sucker head and didn't seem to be too small for the skimmer hole. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks, wendy My heart was so glad to get the dirt accumulation out after a storm yesterday and now I feel faint. My recent under construction thread is "Dog's pool has begun!!"
    22x38 with 3 sheer descents, 18" back wall, 4 deck jets, 3 bubblers in lagoon
    25,000 gallons, Standard White Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellibrite LED light
    Circupool Salt System, Polaris-Caretaker 8-port Ultra Flex In-floor Cleaning System
    (Tucson AZ area:Vail)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Vaccume hoes stuck in skimmer hole... Won't budge.

Twist and pull.

Worst case, you have to cut the hose, grip the edge with pliers, and twist to cause the hose to collapse inside the pipe and yank it out. The see if you can't find a hose repair kit at the pool store.

In the future, use something like this, like I do. The hose collar fits snug inside the threads and the outside diameter is too big to get past the first lip in the skimmer hole.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

OMG. I got it out! Oh well... on the hoes condition.lol Thanks Richard320. Your solution seems much safer for the future! Is the skimmer hole a true 1.5" pipe? Is the one and a half inch the size I should get for the fitting that you have displayed?
    I swear everything I touched today was breaking. My garbage disposal, the carpet cleaner, and then the pool... I almost wanted to go into a fetal position and do nothing the rest of the day.
    25,000 gallons, Standard White Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellibrite LED light
    Circupool Salt System, Polaris-Caretaker 8-port Ultra Flex In-floor Cleaning System

4. Back To Top    #4

Grab a tape measure and check the hole size. Then take the tape with you to the hardware store and browse until you find something that fits. That's what I did.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I will do that. Thank you! I would never have though of your solution. Hope it helps someone else before they get a hoes stuck.

6. Back To Top    #6

OH MY! I bet your heart did drop to your toes! Richard to the rescue!

Yellow you need to update your siggy! Please add your plaster color and what test kit you have. THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard, putting the vacuum hose line directly in the hole risks clumps of <fill in the blank> to clog the lines....doesn't it?

When I used to vacuum thru the skimmer port it was always using a skimmer plate over the basket. So the schmutz only went into the skimmer sock, not along to the pump and filter.

Discuss
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Richard, putting the vacuum hose line directly in the hole risks clumps of <fill in the blank> to clog the lines....doesn't it?

When I used to vacuum thru the skimmer port it was always using a skimmer plate over the basket. So the schmutz only went into the skimmer sock, not along to the pump and filter.

Discuss
    Yes, it does. But I don't have a lot of <fill in the blank> in my pool to clog the lines.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by yellow12 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Well we installed the pool 2 weeks ago and I have been brushing every day, but I vacuumed for the first time just now using a brush head kind so not to mar the plaster and there was not enough suction so I turned part of the main drain lever closed. I got enough suction without collapsing the hoes line one bit, but now even with the system off (no suction) I can't get the hoes out. It is stuck! I see the white plastic ring edge below the entrance. I feel like an idiot. It was the 1.5 size which worked well for the pole side fitting onto the sucker head and didn't seem to be too small for the skimmer hole. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks, wendy My heart was so glad to get the dirt accumulation out after a storm yesterday and now I feel faint. My recent under construction thread is "Dog's pool has begun!!"
    get something that fits over top of your skimmer basket, that why you protect your equipment. I just purchased the SkimDoctor 2.0 with the vacuum attachment and it should work well.
    20yr old,14k,IG,Plaster,Hayward Pro-Grid 60sqft, Hayward DE Separation tank, Hayward Multi-port Valve, Whisper-flo single speed 1.5hp pump,Hayward XL concrete pool suction vacuum, Polaris P340 (Leslies Pool model), Still working to get a test kit, Leslies Power Powder and Leslies 3" Tabs.