Another newbie has seen the light!

No questions..yet. Just a "before" snapshot of our pool before I go to pool school.

I've been operating our 10000 gal inground in Costa Rica with only a cheapie PH/CL kit. I've been lucky...mostly.

We have a WaterMaid SWG. Ceramic tile over concrete. Water temp 90f+ Sand filter.

There are two seasons here...Hot and dry - well water with tons of calcium, Hot and wet, 10 feet of rain in 6 months, slightly acidic.

We are here for the dry season only. To make things simple when we're not here, we have someone put a puck in the skimmer 2x per week, SWG shut off.

At some point I thought it brilliant to add a bunch of ocean water to the pool. That combined with a low CL level resulted in black algae. So far I just brush it and watch the CL, cleaning my cell regularly as it gets coated with a soft white (calcium) deposit, and sprinkling some granular on any trouble spots. But I am operating in the dark. So I pledge to get a proper test kit and start measuring so I can see what's going on.

My PH has always measured high (8.2+). I added acid once and it brought the PH down but only for a day or two.

Too bad that the pucks are so convenient. I don't think I could stock enough bleach to last the rainy season. I can't ask the gardener to keep buying gallons.

So I'll report back once I test the water properly and look forward to an enlightened pool experience next year.

Knowledge is a good thing.

Rob

Welcome Rob, no need to have bleach hauled in, run that SWG... once you get your CSI down and get everything balanced the SWG should have no issues running year round.. yes it will lower the life but it will save you in almost every other way :)

The key is testing the water and a great test kit so you know what's going on...

Wish I could, but during the rainy season, all my salt goes out the overflow. And I have to keep things as simple as possible for those watching the pool when we're not here.
That's why pucks are so convenient. But I'll make more informed decisions soon.

And I am very impressed by the civility of this forum. Congrats to all.

Back later with numbers.

Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.