Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bromine Spa and TF-100: Do I multiply the DPD result by 2?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bromine Spa and TF-100: Do I multiply the DPD result by 2?

Hi,

Using the OTO test in the TF-100 kit, the same color match for a particular bromine level is 2x the chlorine level.

When I'm doing a DPD test for bromine using the TF-100, do I also have to multiply the result by 2 to get the correct bromine level (ie., is each drop of R-0871 is worth 1 PPM of bromine?)

Also, is the CC test for Bromine the same (Combined Bromates I guess?)

Thanks,

Marc
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bromine Spa and TF-100: Do I multiply the DPD result by 2?

With a 10 mL sample, each drop of R-0871 is 1 ppm of Bromine (0.5 ppm for chlorine). With a 25 mL sample, each drop is 0.4 ppm of bromine. Same for the CB.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Bromine Spa and TF-100: Do I multiply the DPD result by 2?

Thanks! That was what I meant, I just didn't have the TF-100 instructions in front of me when I wrote my post.

I'll edit my original post so that it's clear - 1 drop of R-0871 = 0.5 ppm of chlorine; 1 drop of R-0871 = 1 ppm of bromine.

Thanks!
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.