Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Long time swimmer, first time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Long time swimmer, first time pool owner

Hello,

Bought a house in Dallas in August, first time owning a pool. Hired a guy to maintain the pool, but I don't think he's done a very good job (I end up cleaning the pool weekly it seems, and his concept of pool chemicals is to drop a floater in with lots of chlorine). So, I've decided to take over maintaining the pool myself. Ordering a TF100 test kit. Been perusing through the site for a couple weeks, and am finally ready to make the move of maintaining the pool myself.

Cheers,

Gonzo
    Odd shaped, 30,000 gals, plaster
    Hayward DE 6020
    Pentair WF-26 1.5 HP
    TF-100 Testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Long time swimmer, first time pool owner

HI! I am so glad to see you! WONDERFUL on getting the good test kit! You are going to LOVE how your pool looks with your own test kit AND your wallet will be very happy to have more money in it!

Tell me the story about your user name! It is cute!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Cool, post your results when you get the kit and I am sure you will get a ton of suggestions on the steps to take. Even if you think you have the process down it can be a good double check on your learning to have others chime in. Good luck.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the welcome.

Name is a combination of my nickname (Gonzo), and I served in the Marines, who are also called Devil Dogs.

I'm definitely going to need a lot of help. I can only imagine how crazy my readings will be. I don't think the person I've been using has done a single reading, and has done it all based on "feel". When we bought the house, the pool was bright green, and he did a good job of turning. So, he was helpful, but he never backwashed, until I asked about the 30+psi on the pump, and I swear he wouldn't empty all the baskets each week. I basically have rebuilt my polaris 280. Now, i need to solve an electrical issue with the booster pump. Fun stuff. With summer right around the corner, and it being the first summer we have had a pool, I'm excited about it being a sparkling clean one that my whole family can enjoy.
    Odd shaped, 30,000 gals, plaster
    Hayward DE 6020
    Pentair WF-26 1.5 HP
    TF-100 Testkit

5. Back To Top    #5

You picked a good time to be proactive and take charge of your pool. Hope we can help you in the future. By the way .... thanks for your service brother.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

It'll all be dull and routine in a month or so.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gonzodog View Post

Name is a combination of my nickname (Gonzo), and I served in the Marines, who are also called Devil Dogs.
    Thank you for your service.....Sorry I called you "cute" Can't mess up your image!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP! Sounds like a great plan!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome. You're off to a great start with the test kit. Pool School is full of info that will guide you to a trouble free pool. We're here for all your questions!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter