Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return jet directions

1. Back To Top    #1

Return jet directions

So here's my current setup. I put ping pong balls into the pool last night. One at each corner and one in the middle by the steps. They all made their way out at some point, but as you can see by the pink dots not a single one went to the skimmer. What do?
    My pool: ~22.6K gallon. 16'x32' with 8 foot deep. 10 year old vinyl liner (prayers)
    Century A.O. Smith UST1202 56J C-Face 2 HP Single Speed Up Rated Pool Filter Motor, 19.6/10.4-9.8A 115/208-230V
    Hayward S244T ProSeries 24" In- Ground Sand Pool Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return jet directions

I would point J2 toward the steps and J1 along the other wall towards J2 to try and get a circular flow. Where does the wind come from predominantly?
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Try angling the returns so the water flows clockwise. You have to do something to get the debris from the step end to head towards the skimmer.

The outer ring loosens and then the eyeball itself can be swivelled. You might need some heft channel-locks to grip the outer ring if it hasn't been moved in a long time. Also a nice thick rod/dowel/pipe inserted in the eyeball opening helps a great deal when tugging it into position and for holding it in place while you cinch the ring down. A screwdriver might be too thin and place too much stress on one edge of the eyeball.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

hmm, what is the wind direction? if the wind is blowing over the skimmer towards where the red dots are that would explain it. That has a lot to do with surface debris going into the skimmer. You could make a piece like I did for jet #2 that would push the water more counter clockwise..

this sticks out about 3 inches but it works great
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

These Amazon.com : Pool and Spa Eyeball Jet 1.5 Garden do a similar function as I had to make them work with a less than desirable eyeball/skimmer/kidney shaped pool circulation issue.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

While attempting to change my eye ball direction in jet 1 the **** thing broke. Now part of it is in my hands and part of it is stuck in the hole and I can't get it to unscrew. Thoughts?

My pool: ~22.6K gallon. 16'x32' with 8 foot deep. 10 year old vinyl liner (prayers)
    Century A.O. Smith UST1202 56J C-Face 2 HP Single Speed Up Rated Pool Filter Motor, 19.6/10.4-9.8A 115/208-230V
    Hayward S244T ProSeries 24" In- Ground Sand Pool Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Try inserting a pair of pliers handle side in and spread them apart and unscrew.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rosslamon View Post
    While attempting to change my eye ball direction in jet 1 the **** thing broke. Now part of it is in my hands and part of it is stuck in the hole and I can't get it to unscrew. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wedge something sharp and wide, like a wood chisel or a trowel, into the remains and then turn it with pliers or a crescent wrench.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!